Keyboard Storage Solutions

The case I used is the Pelican Storm iM2450 Case With Foam, they usually go for 170-200 bucks.

I also found that similar cases from Monoprice are just about as good and like half the price. I think if I need more I’d go for Monoprice cases like:

6 Likes

forgot to add, always measure your keyboards and compare internal dimensions of the cases you’re interested in. If my Rama U-80A wasn’t so damn big, I would definitely have gone with the more affordable monoprice cases.

1 Like

That’s really cool, I need to do the same now :smiley:

Harbor Freight has their own version as well though the large and x-large versions have 1.88" less depth than the Pelican (could be arguably better for 60%). I don’t know how the pluck foam compares to the Pelican or Monoprice. They are really solid units as well.

7 Likes

Totally forgot Harbor Freight has cases like that too, their prices are really good too.

1 Like

How is the Pelican case working out for keyboard storage? Have you found any downsides over individual hard cases? I’m looking at a Harbor Freight equivalent (thanks, @fatalruin!) where I could get three or four boards in the case vs. $30-40/each with individual cases.

The pelican case is working out great. I can’t recommend any particular brand over the other when it comes to these style cases since I haven’t tried them all, however the most important thing are the dimensions. The main reason i went with pelican is that it was deep enough to fit my U80 comfortably.

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s worked out well! I think the large HF case should work for most of my boards, but I need to check the depth for one. I had mostly been thinking length so I’m glad you mentioned that!

@norbauer
Besides the carrying case that you sold, have you seen a case that would fit a Norbaforce? Preferably a hard case with an EVA insert, not something like a Pelican with pluck foam.

My only request at this point would be a Keybrief specifically tailored to the size and dimensions of the Heavy Grail.

1 Like

Not that I know of, but I recently had a good experience ordering a custom case (for a non-keyboard thing) from this company:

2 Likes

I didn’t know this service existed. Thanks, I’ll check it out.

1 Like

I like having protective cases so that I can tuck a nice keyboard away and not worry about it. Also, it’s handy to be able to stand them up or stack them when needed to save space.

I’ve got a growing number of keyboards without cases because of their dimensions.

It seems impossible to find a case that is tall enough and not overly wide for these boards. They’re all a similar dimension, but not something that is accounted for in the mech keeb bag world.

I’m looking for a case that is around 8in x 16in x 4in. (about 20cm x 40cm x 10 cm) I think at least 10 or more of my uncased boards would fit in those dimensions.

Pelican cases and cheap alternatives would do the job, but they take up so much space and are expensive. I don’t want to spend over $30 on a storage case. 4 or 5 inches would be the max height needed and most pelican cases are at least 7.5-8 inches tall.

I could go with the deep case and store multiple standing up, but I prefer to have each keyboard in it’s own case. This often comes in handy when you have extras related to the keyboard that you want to store along with it.

Does anyone know of a case out there that might fit a board? I remember @Manofinterests finding an immersion blender case on amazon that was good fit for a lot of boards and fairly cheap. I’ve looked on Amazon and can’t find anything that fits the bill. Mostly looking at camera, drone, and gun cases.

Any ideas?

Maybe something like this with some foam inserts?

https://www.amazon.com/ieGeek-Carrying-Travel-Portable-Player/dp/B09P14QK21/ref=sr_1_9?crid=PJ70ZC51PLKD&keywords=laptop+case+hard+shell&qid=1700063740&s=electronics&sprefix=laptop+case+hard%2Celectronics%2C104&sr=1-9

1 Like

I’ve spent an embarrassing amount of money on my keyboards so I prefer to display them.

8 Likes

Ha. I do display some, but when room runs out it ends up being only these oddly shaped ones on display. And then I can’t swap them into storage b/c they have nowhere to go :sob:

I’m trying to think of something similar in shape and then search for a case for that. Still not much luck. I don’t need it ultra weather and shock proof. It’s just going to sit in a closet.

Maybe we’re skirting around the real problem… Surely not though. Surely I don’t have too many

2 Likes

For people looking for ways to store and organize small, miscellaneous parts, another thing to consider is to look for fishing tackle storage solutions. Besides portable tackle boxes, you can also find a variety of storage cases and even sets of drawers with divided compartments. These are quite similar to various electronics parts storage solutions, but searching among such products has some potential advantages: 1) they are widely available and easy to find at various outdoors and recreation equipment stores (and even some big box stores that carry fishing equipment), 2) they tend to be quite reasonably priced. Of course, it’s not the only option to consider, but just another avenue to look at, as you search for storage products.

2 Likes

Heresy I say! You can never have too many keyboards! :face_in_clouds: :money_mouth_face:

It’s the equivalent of playing Elder scrolls and just spending all of your time in your two story town house organizing items inside the various glass pane display cases. Ah yes, a bit of skooma too

I’ve got some decent looking beige plastic drawers from Target and a big, square felt laundry basket, basically…it’s thick felt with handles built in…that can fit like 8 Cannonkeys carrying cases on end. That kind of slides under the side desk and also serves as a place to temporarily throw random stuff, like cables I want out of the way at the moment. I’m going to need something more soon, but it’s done the job so far.

1 Like

This might be an option. :sweat_smile:

https://a.co/d/4KtozsA