What did you order or think about ordering?

Yes, exactly that.

2 Likes

And a 55g spring! That should make a big difference :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

sol dark
Even though they’re basically recolored ergo clears I still went in for batch of 108. He said in his video that there was new molds used & you guys know how I am about getting switches from fresh molds. I figure at the very worst & I do not like the switches I’ll have some super smooth Cherry housings & could probably sell the stems off. Also these are MX2As so I’ll finally get a chance to check out those supposed improvements. Then I just came across a great deal & nabbed a DCS Sol Dark base kit & spacebar kit for $100! Had to jump on that as I’ve been wanting it for awhile now!

7 Likes

I got some as well. They look really cool is what I’m saying for an excuse. Although I have those vertex V one switches that look the same :joy:

1 Like

The MX purples do look very cool & remind me of my early days in the hobby messing around with switch parts! I took a liking to V1 Zealio stems in MX clear or blue housings with the 78g zealio spring (don’t know how I used such heavy switches back then!). I think the nostalgia factor was the thing that pushed me over the edge. Just wish I had ordered when I first saw them, could’ve been in the first batch LOL!

3 Likes

I guess Batch 2 and 3 switches would also be almost as fresh as Batch 1, right?

Because they’d only be the second and third iterations from those molds.

So they’re 55 G 16mm springs? That could work, I know 18mm 55 G works well.

I wonder what the factory pre-lube is like. Would be nice to have some Ergo Clears I don’t have to lube myself. Wish they would improve the stems, though.

BTW that DCS Solarized Dark is listed as having minimal to no shine. Are they used?

1 Like

Here’s a picture comparing the purple and brown springs, from Glarses’s’s’s video (7m45)

An ergo clear uses a brown (or red or blue) spring, which are 15mm, whereas a clear has a 12.5mm spring. This pic suggests the purple springs are 18mm ish.

4 Likes

Yes, I just finished watching the relevant parts of his video.

The switch is factory-lubed in a fairly standard way, which means it shouldn’t differ too much from the factory Ergo Clears. The spring is ‘factory-lubed’ and the leaf-area or something is too.

Glarses said in the video that the factory lube will slowly disperse to the rest of the switch over a period of several weeks of typing. Presumably, this will lead to a very thin coat of factory lube.

If the molds are newer and smoother than typically Cherry, it should sound like a slightly less-scratchy factory Ergo Clear. Personally, because he chose a (probably) good weight of 55 G 16mm, it may not be necessary to spring-swap.

I like them for the no-work that necessarily needs to be done. You will get a deeper sound by lubing Ergo Clears with 3204 / 205g0. But if you’re okay with stock Cherry switch, these should be fine from a mechanical standpoint.

A number of Chinese manufacturers have been favouring long or very-long (18-22 mm) 50 - 62 G springs in Brown-styled switches over the past two years. Personally, I feel that these types of springs are best used in a medium-tactile, these MX Purple precisely being one such example.

2 Likes

Actually I’m thinking the batches are just shipping batches from the entire first production run of 1 million or however many of these he had made this first time around. So regardless of the batch I’m assuming they all should be roughly equivalent. I highly doubt Glarses packed them according to the order they came out of the molds. Not sure Cherry even does that TBH. I’m sure you could probably notice a small difference between say the first 100 that came out of the molds VS the last 100. Although I’m assuming they’ve been pretty well mixed together during packing from Cherry to Glarses & from Glarses to us.

Yes you are correct about the springs. I’m also hoping the springs have enough oomph to not feel sluggish on the rebound, although I’m pretty sure you can still spring swap these if needed. I would like to try the new “barrel” springs Cherry is toughting, but have my reservations. Since Cherry springs have traditionally been hot garbo LOL! As for the factory lube, in his video Glarses claims that they lay ring of lube around the stem pole well in the bottom housing & it disperses around the switch with use. Gonna give them a go stock for a while to see how true or not that is. Since I would also be pretty happy with a nice ergo clear you can use stock.

Oh yeah the Sol dark set I grabbed is used, but even if it has a little shine to it I’ll still be happy considering most places were selling extras of the base for around $150 to $160. If they really don’t have no shine on them I’ll be ecstatic cause that would make the deal a homerun in my book!

5 Likes

Yes, after watching the video, I came to the realization that they were probably all produced in one big run, and are being dumped on him. So Batch 2 should be like Batch 1.

I also am skeptical of Cherry’s new barrel springs. I like aftermarket springs in the Clears. My most recent testing of Cherry’s official Ergo Clears suggested that 63.5 G 15mm was a nice, mellow weight for them. Or 55 G 18mm being punchy and energetic. So 55 G 16mm might be more reasonable - I never tried it [hated 55 G springs in Browns, but they might work better in Ergo Clears, where more of the overall resistance comes from the stem and not the spring weight.]

I GBed DCS Solarized Dark, so I got a decent price. Kind of regret not getting in on DCS Vert. But they didn’t produce Salmon-coloured accents [even though they would have been awesome!]

4 Likes

As I understand it, unlike the purples, Cherry’s ergo clears have not been updated to the new MX2A design, so they do not have the factory lube.

6 Likes

Yeah…I spoke to soon. The video explained that MX Purple uses the new MX2A lubing. Although we’ll have to see how much that really differs from the factory lube, which exists, in the Ergo Clears.

Really hoping for a Theremingoat review of these.

Guess I should have watched the video immediately upon it popping up on my feed, 2 days ago.

3 Likes

It took the video popping up a few times in my feed to remind of his 1mil sub hijinxs, then I finally watched it like a day after he released it. So pretty much same, LOL!

3 Likes

Correction: I have learned that the ergo clears and the new nixies both have factory lube and I think were both released by Cherry in 2022, before the MX2A update this year.

3 Likes

This Ergo Purple doesn’t appeal to me. Maybe bc I have hundreds of MX Clear stems.

Tactile frankenswitch using BSUN X housing appeals to me more. Geon Baby Blue sliders goes well with it except for the flat side top adding squeaky noise.

3 Likes

I keep meaning to buy Geon Baby Blue, but it’s a long-pole, isn’t it?

That, and shipping to Canada cost 3x more than the package of stems.

2 Likes

It is but:

• Baby Blue slider is on the short-side among long poles (13.30mm, OG NK Cream stem is 13.42mm)
  • Reduced key travel doesn’t feel as drastic with tactiles (up to a point that is).
  • Bump is reasonable, not too light, not too heavy. (just avoid thicker contact leaves like Panda and U4T housings).

It’s only downside is the squeaky noise. I think the noise is caused by the area blue arrow points to being flat, unlike other switches. However, the squeaky noise can be reduced by lubing part of upper housing where it strikes. Depends a lot of the top housing design.

4 Likes

You’d think the baby blue wouldn’t be the only one with design logic like that. Lubing top housing can be ok but sometimes I don’t. Usually use only one lube per batch nowadays too, which works good enough most of the time

2 Likes

Yeah. I guess it takes experienced designers to pay attention to both downstroke and upstroke.

Should be pretty simple I’d have figured but if it’s not easy now hopefully easier for designers in general soon