What did you order or think about ordering?

I just picked up a Flash Deskmat from Zap Cables since he was offloading some old inventory. Have been wanting that deskmat for awhile, so I am pretty excited.

4 Likes

I ordered a new gpu for my upcoming computer build over the weekend

6 Likes

quite the flex

you know what makes it worse? I just needed a strix or tuf model for the gpu waterblock im getting for it. I dont even watch EVA lol

4 Likes

Nvidia shipped literally all the 4090s to Hong Kong for one last push of sales to China before the ban goes in effect. So the reaming stock from 2 restocks ago is all that’s left in the US right AFAIK.

I just read that the motherboard from the same series has a typo, “evangenlion” instead of “evangelion”

5 Likes

lmao, i checked my card and its spelled right. Although since im throwing a waterblock on it it doesnt matter

1 Like

Spellcheck ain’t gonna catch that one.

1 Like

Imagine being a huge EVA fan & spending the extra loot for this mobo just to find that…

4 Likes
3 Likes

Like finding out that you didn’t make it into the club… :cry::eggplant::pinching_hand:

2 Likes

I feel that pain. Also due to the specificity of a waterblock, I have hunted for three months for a reasonably priced Founder’s 3090Ti. Finally found one, but listings are rare and then usually priced at like $1500 or above. GPU prices these days are basically killing the joy of building and gaming on PCs.

2 Likes

Well, I am done with Nvidia. I recently discovered that they are no longer supporting some old GT9500 cards on Linux with their proprietary driver and the opensource Nouveau driver completely sucks.

So, I bought a couple of nearly new AMD Radeon RX6400 cards for those office PCs. Too bad for the Nvidia e-waste I now have on my hands…

3 Likes

Also I just ordered a shit ton of watercooling hardware from EKWB cause they already started their black friday sales

3 Likes

People are still trying sell 3090/3090tis for that much!? I got what I thought was a hell of a deal on my 3090 right before ETH went proof of stake or whatever (I paid $850 for mine), but figured the price on them was way down since the 40 series launched. Guess I was wrong there. I completely agree GPU prices (new & used) are sapping all the fun out of PC building & gaming. NV better quit messing around, they’re gonna force a ton of people to AMD & Intel. I know they think the gaming market is below them right now, but once the AI stuff settles down some I think they’ll be sorry if they let their mind share in PC gaming keep falling.

1 Like

We have a little hope from Intel that provides good mid-range GPUs, and with constant improvements of their driver. If they continue commiting on that path they could be an nVidia contender in the future.

1 Like

3090 is still popular for ML work bc it has 24GB memory. As to factors outside product, 4090 had cable fire issue before and most recently a rush to ship GPUs to China before a US export deadline.

At personal level, I was looking to run some ML models locally but only 3090 or 4090 would fit. I ultimately decided to go with cloud GPU bc power consumption increase and extra noise is not ignorable for Mac users.

1 Like

I just checked and on ebay they are all around $1,200 now. Which is better than when I last checked. I got mine for $900 about 60 days ago now, and it really was a crazy good deal at the time.

No, I think that’s Nvidia’s exact strategy, actually. Always price new cards higher, even if by just $50, just so that the cost of the last generation sitting on the shelves of retailers doesn’t have to be slashed.

It’s almost Apple-like in a way (i.e. no real discounts ever, keeping the second-hand market from cannibalizing sales).

Can I ask what for and which ones? I honestly bought my 3090 because I have a particular themed computer build in mind. Building is my actual hobby. But, if I can use it for something cool and whacky I wouldn’t mind, but I don’t know where to start.

2 Likes

My current interest is in speech and news analysis so I took stock of available models to guestimate memory needed for both training and runtime use. 24GB was the only available and viable option.

1 Like

You know I like me some funky-ass layouts, and exploded space bar is about as funky as they come. I didn’t order one though. I just don’t preorder things anymore :man_shrugging:

I’ll be excited to try and snag an extra next Spring though :rofl:

In-stock gang RISEUP

5 Likes