What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I’m not really sure, tbh. I was hoping that the board would be in bad enough condition where i wouldn’t feel bad about harvesting it for the switches and keycaps so i could use them for a 60% build. But it’s a lot better than expected, so i’m not sure. Restoring seems like a nightmare. Trying to get the missing keycaps and replacement switches. But i’d feel bad taking it apart too.

2 Likes

Pretty happy with the purchase Weikav Record

Edit:
After typing on it last night. The Silent Bluish Whites are probably my new favorite in the Silent Tactile category. I didn’t do any modding on the switches or the stabs that came with the board and it feels and sounds (as far as silent switches are concerned) great. The board is really worth the $80 (sans shipping) and there’s a VIA json going around. The anode job is about what you would expect. There is a line in the middle of the separating column that is visible in some angles, which sucks but for $80 I’m pretty happy with it.

The caps looks great but they feel awful. They’re just too slick when typing and the dish is not deep enough for the slipping and sliding when typing. I’ll keep them on until MTNU 800 starts shipping.

Edit 2: The color can’t make up its mind if it’s red or brown

11 Likes

3 x Waveshare RP2040-Tiny microcontrollers

1 x 60% pack of Durock v2 stabs

2 x Durock 6.25u wires

For assembling the remaining 3 of my keybird69 boards.

Each board uses 2 x 2u stabs, so I have 4 x 2u spare from the 60% packs I used on my two earlier builds. Now I have 6 x 2u and 3 x 6.25u and 2 spare 2u wires :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My only reservation is that I used Deskey films with my switches. They are so fiddle-y. I am wondering if it is even possible to crack them back open and spring swap or if I should just lube and film new ones.

2 Likes

I hear you, they can be a pain to get those films positioned right. Although IME they tend to come off with the top housing when opening an already filmed switch. If they open up like that for you they go back together pretty easy. You just need to make sure the film is lined up in the N/S directions before completely closing the switch again.

3 Likes

Some good mailday stuff again, including a bad photo.

• Huano Tecware/FantasyTom grey Reds. I was expecting them to be just the normal Huano Reds with grey bottom, but i’m surprised to get these. 13.6mm POM stem, PC top, Nylon bottom. Springs seem to be around 18mm long. Curious thing about them : the housing Molds are identical to some LCET switches like LCET white. Do with that info as you wish, the rabbithole is too deep for my head right now.
  • KTT Weikav/Vika Raw Coconut Latte. 13.7mm POM stem, milky PC top and Nylon bottom. Quite nice sound for a KTT winglatch with PC top, so the material Mix must be slightly different. 22mm spring. Otherwise quite unremarkable.
  • G-Square White Warrior V2. Supposedly GrainGold manufactured, and having 13.6mm POM stem with LY housings. 21.5mm 2-stage spring from what i could measure.
    All 3 are quite smooth and have minimal wobble and are also all decently lubed from factory.
4 Likes

Hm anyone know does the plastic in cherry switches tire from the mechanism being dismantled a few times to swap films and such? I know some switches have been purported to be that way

My Class80 R2 came in. Interesting that this came in before my Class60. I guess that’s the difference between ordering from MM Studio directly and KeebsForAll. Not sure what’s taking KFA so damn long. Anyways…

I’m thinking GMK Olive for this.

12 Likes

I don’t have any good data for you there, but squeezing the clip legs inward a little bit before putting the top on seems to help.

1 Like

sorry for the late reply, got them from here

1 Like

That would probably look pretty classy. You could also go badass with something dark. I’ve always wanted something that captures the spirit of this lambo

Maybe glossy black transparent caps with red stem switches. Or you could do dark gray and black with yellow accents like ePBT warrior MKIII. Maybe GMK Thinkcaps with yellow or red space bar accents?

Maybe PBTFans Resonance would work as well.

Love that green. It’s lovely

6 Likes

I’m in the Retro66 group buy and wonder the same thing. They’re also terrible about giving updates on a regular basis. It usually takes a lot of cajoling to get a response from them on their Discord server.

1 Like

I’m lagging, but in the past week I’ve gotten my Haimu Pastel Skies from CK, Gateron Pro Yellows 3.0, CK long springs, and most importantly my Salvation (from NK) in Copper Slag! Unfortunately, an extra PCB and plate for the latter are potentially fallen victim to holiday shipping issues, but they’ll either turn up or be replaced.

Will post pics and impressions of Salvation when I have the time. I need appropriate lighting to highlight the shininess :laughing: Interesting keyboard. I also like both sets of switches quite a bit, and they are very different.

3 Likes

Fresnel PCB and plate for my Frog at my door today!

6 Likes

I also got myself a record alice, in the same coffee bean color as everybody else, it seems. They have so many more colors available now, and even a CNC Acrylic version, so i wish i had waited just a little longe. But it’s still a very nice board for the price. I built it with MMD Cream v4 and capturer WoB keycaps. It’s surprisingly easy to go from normal keyboards to alice layout, i’m surprised by that. I only have to get used to using the Y with my right hand instead of my left. And the position of the right shift key is bothering me quite a bit.

8 Likes

Oh cool - optical?

Ha all those Fresnel-rated phrases floating around on the PCB remind me of ye olde doge meme.

Such lenses. Many optical. Wow.

5 Likes

Yes, optical using special Gondolindrim technique.

Yes the back is all meme :smiley: and also the fact that I am terrible at doing graphics :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Salvation brass plate arrived from Salvun (I have a good feeling about this!) along with extra keeb-bits :tm: and a couple of succulent chocolate covered English toffees I’ve never heard of - Daim? Upping the bar for Hi-Chew-esque toss-ins!

2 Likes

I wow’nt it:

2 Likes

XCJZ Whasabi V2 Switch

SPEC

• Linear switch
  • Nylon Top housing
  • MPA nylong+Modified C5G bottom housing
  • POM stem
  • about 15mm spring
  • Operating force 42+/-5gf
  • Bottom force 55+/-5gf
  • Pre-travel 2.0+/-0.2mm
  • Total Travel 4.0+/-0.2mm

There are photos of sizes under the spoiler.

Summary

Under the spoiler there is a photo comparison of V1 and V2.

Summary

5 Likes