Things that make us go... hmmm šŸ¤”

Wow. That price is really disappointing. I guess Keboardio makes super premium keycaps? Iā€™ve never owned any. I thought they just make some funky split keyboard. I didnā€™t realize they were a manufacturer.

Yeah, looking more, the samples were produced in XDA profile, which is something keyboardio has made and has available on their site. So theyā€™ve probably never actually made a DSA set?

For the ā€œpreorder discountā€ of $150? Hmmā€¦ thatā€™s just ā€¦ hmm

Iā€™m really hesitant about reverse dye-sub from a company I havenā€™t really seen a lot of caps come from. Especially at that price, it seems like a big gamble.

Keycap that Runs Doom

from Geekhack

10 Likes

:thinking:

9 Likes

damn, thatā€™s pretty bold. Seems like an easy one to shut down. Very obviously intending to mislead

3 Likes

Their terms of service :person_facepalming:

8 Likes

oh, well i guess that covers it. nothing to see hereā€¦ :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

What even is trademark?

Itā€™s not like someone could start a company called ā€œFord Carsā€ or ā€œApple Devicesā€ - thereā€™s this legal thing called Likelihood of Confusion

5 Likes

Youā€™re all being incredibly narrow-minded about this. Any free thinkers interested in a good conversation can join me on KeebTalk Keyboard Forum Website (not affiliated with KeebTalk.com).

3 Likes

Itā€™s a contest between Ability to tell theyā€™re not GMK vs Likelihood of Confusion.

1 Like

Damn. I just got an ad for that website on my Instagram.

1 Like

:hear_no_evil:
Researchers steal passwords using keyboard sounds | PCWorld

4 Likes

I wonder if the AI has more difficulty training on keyboards with very consistent sounds across the deck, or if itā€™s sensitive enough that it really doesnā€™t matterā€¦ but if they can detect gravitational waves with lasers and see through walls with WiFi signals I guess itā€™s not much of a stretch.

Maybe the cheat is to bake your password into a macro, or have a dedicated password pad :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I mean, side channel attacks (link 1, link 2) are only going to get more prevalentā€¦

Welcome to the future :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

P.S. Have fun in your cybersecurity careers, clicky switch enjoyers!!!

3 Likes

I picked up some (not New) North Pole V2s for posterity since they arenā€™t being made anymore, and was fiddling with them last night - I was curious if that little yellow pad nobody likes is removable.

Yep, it is. :yellow_circle:

I do like the switches more without it - and also found that you can pretty easily install it in other MX-style switches. So if you wanted to full-silent your JWICK Half-Silents, well bam hereā€™s aā€¦ sort of easy way. (Actually not so easy; simple to install, less so to remove from the donor thanks to small spaces.)

What Iā€™d actually like to know is if Gateron will sell me a bag of them on their own, especially since theyā€™re not currently using them for anythingā€¦ >.>

3 Likes

Layers is the trick.

1 Like

Layers and switching out keyboard layouts, switches, and keycaps like every other day should thwart the spies following me. :disguised_face:

1 Like

I removed the little yellow pad on mines.
And I donā€™t really like the slip stick feel of it, makes it kindof tactile in a bad way (for me). Heard it was very common on switches that were using the same material for the housing and the stem.

1 Like

I think part of the goal with the bottom port (introduced alongside the pad) was to mitigate slip-stick and sluggishness, but it sounds like it didnā€™t work all that well. Iā€™m kind of a fan myself, but it makes total sense to me that most people buying linear switches want them to actually be linear in-practice.

This is true in my experience, just about regardless of material. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen an exception yet, really. While North Poles actually donā€™t fit into that category on a technicality, they might as well be in it because the experience is the same.

The housings are polycarb and the stems are ā€œinkā€ - but they definitely have the slip-stick thing going on with each-other. (In case youā€™re wondering, I did try an Ink stem an an Ink housing, and yes, it did make the slip-stick worse.)

Another switch that has a similar flavor of slip-stick is the Tecsee Jadeite / Diamond; it has that ā€œalmost tactileā€ feeling of overcoming grip at the start of travel. Once the stem is moving at natural typing speed it feels super smooth to me, but not before that little bit of grip at the beginning. This is distinct from the flavor of slip-stick Iā€™ve experienced with all-POM switches, for example, which seems less grippy at the start and more shuddery throughout - and is less noticeable at typing speeds than the sort of slip-stick on the North Poles and other Aqua-King-likes.

3 Likes

This is really intereseting.

Iā€™ve read somewhere that you could fuse together two pieces of the same material if their contact surface perfectly match.
Looks like pieces of the same material tend to fusionate during friction, maybe the explanation of the slip stick phenomenom ?