Things that make us go... hmmm 🤔

Zeal stabs on sale ~60% off - that’s a big discount for a premium-marketed item. But hey! Zeal stabs for the price of reggo stabs, no complaints.

2 Likes

The original price feels way off for being V1 style stabilizers

5 Likes

And I don’t really like the slip stick feel of it

Between the choice of grainy or “scratchy” vs stick slip, I’d get the grainy switch every day, also grainy switches ahve the potential to get smoother othe time, stick slip doesn’t go away from my experience.

2 Likes

I do get why some people like this slip stick, giving this tiny bit of resistance at the very start of the downstoke very alike a soft tactile would do.
Just not for me anyway, from my experience it makes the switch significantly heavier with a 55g spring than with another switch with a 60g spring.
As I like light switches …

Grainy switches sure goes better with use but I’m not patient enough to wait this amount of time to appreciate the typing experience (I don’t like Cherry for this reason).

No experience on that, but I’d suspect this phenomeron could get even worse with use time as surface contact will be bigger.

3 Likes

I concur, though I hadn’t thought about it in those exact terms. I think I even have a visual that supports the idea…

When I reviewed the original switch, I noticed Theremingoat’s force-curve graph looked a lot more spiky than the switch felt to me - then I thought, hey, I might be looking at a visual representation of slip-stick.

Here’s Theremingoat’s graph with some visual annotations I added:

• Blue simply shows the bottom-out weight.

• Orange is drawn from where the noise tapers-off, back across the peaks of the graph; this is a sort of “upper limit” for the noise.

• Yellow is drawn from the same point where the noise tapers-off, back across the valleys of the graph; this is a sort of “lower limit” for the noise. The end of this line also represents where I think the switch starts moving under normal fast typing conditions as opposed to the slower speed of measurement; the device used for this graph operates by hand-crank and depresses more slowly than typing.

• Pink is a straight line continued back from bottom-out through the same point where the noise tapers-off; this line happens to land on the factory-spec starting weight of the switch, 40g. I believe this is what the force-curve graph would look like if the switch were completely devoid of forces aside from those supplied by the spring.

• I think what’s between orange and yellow is the additive noise of the slip-stick effect, which I think might change with different measurement speed.

• I think what’s between yellow and pink is other resistance on-top of the spring; surface friction, oil viscosity, whatever it may be.

• Where orange, yellow, and pink meet is where the spring force appears to completely overpower the other forces providing resistance.

The switch is supposed to start moving at 40g - but that’s just the spring, and doesn’t take into account other factors that happen to play a big role here. As measured (slowly), the switch doesn’t actually start moving until nearly 60g before dipping back down into the 50s. I theorize that the practical starting weight of the switch with normal typing would be closer to 50g, which is still 10g heavier than the spring spec.

5 Likes

Thank for this extensive information, this confirms the feeling I had when typing on them !

1 Like

Recently got laid off and have been using LinkedIn a lot more, god damn this website is a resource hog! I feel like I need a new computer just to run this site.

4 Likes

That’s very similar what I feel with the Gateron Cap v2 Gold switches, although they don’t feel significatly heavier, they too have this stick-slip feeling at the start, and their graph look very similar.

They are a bit thin-sounding but once you get past the initial stick-slip, it’s a pretty smooth switch.

1 Like

A friendly PSA: make an email address for that purpose, separate from your normal email. No single online misadventure has directed more spam in my direction than looking for work like six years ago. My inbox has never recovered. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Finally. I always wanted a steel superman shaft! My girlfriend will be so excited :rofl:

5 Likes

YMDK has gone too far… silicon mold case with a peeking cat… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Yooo… and it’s self-moistening

5 Likes

https://alexdee.party/noxary-situation

compilation of posts and documents for those involved in multiple Noxary group-buys and unfulfilled in-stock items yet to be shipped.

Last update from Noxary was 8/4/2023 and still no meaningful shipping update/response to everyone.

4 Likes

Luckily I’m not waiting on anything, but since day 1, noxary/Anthony has been really, really slow and usually not great with communication. Also, always lots of issues and excuses. Shit happens, but it seems to always happen in a Noxary group buy. (Lost deliveries, injury, manufacturer ghosting).

Man is riddled with bad luck. I think it’s just the natural consequence of a 1 man shop. Same stuff going on with my Hiney TKL board. Been “shipping” for like 1/2 a year now.

On the positive side, the boards are super nice. No issue with quality on any of the 4 boards I own.

3 Likes

Looks like Project Keyboard has been put on notice by the Reddit mod team for non-responsiveness and possibly failed finances. Time will tell. Luckily I only have 1 keycap set ordered through them, Astral Light.

Crap, I just remembered I ordered GMK Slasher through them too. Hope it all works out :crazy_face:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/15ut6fi/psa_project_keyboard_mechs_co_chargebacks_and/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=2

6 Likes

Just found this in Ashkeebs discord from the other day:

So something is def up with Project Keyboard. I wonder if Ashkeebs is fulfilling their GMK Slasher orders

3 Likes

They have been completely unresponsive for more than a year now. I have an expensive paper weight from them (custom keyboard without PCB) with no resolution in sight. They wont release the PCB files either so I could at least build one myself. There’s still someone on their discord that tells people to open tickets but then these tickets go unanswered.

A look at “how the other side lives” - or at keyboard shopping priorities recommended by folks not otherwise specifically obsessed with keyboards.

I wasn’t surprised to see Logitech low-pro membranes all over the list, but I did crack a smile at seeing Keychron being mentioned on NBC. High-fives also go to NuPhy for making it on the list; they seem to be succeeding at their apparent goal of straddling the realms of keyboard hobbyism and ready-made tech fanciness.

4 Likes
  • Backlighting: White backlighting can sometimes help make keys more legible in dark environments. Multicolor backlighting, while pricier, can add a fun and personal touch to any keyboard.

:kissing_closed_eyes: :ok_hand:

There it is!! In print!!! RGB is MOAR FUN, folks!!!

Go cry in your dark room…

</sarcasm>

3 Likes

The Aliexpress clone of DCS Windbreaker is called Trench Coat :rofl:

I love the quasi-translation, but trench coat just reminds of a creeper in an ally or an old detective.

11 Likes