Things that make us go... hmmm 🤔

I love the whole idea and process behind Kintsugi of not only highlighting the imperfections of something that is broken, but also making it more valuable, beautiful, and unique.

I have a few small Kintsugi bowls that I use for sorting and lubing switch parts. I like keeping them on my workbench area because every time I use them, it’s a subtle reminder that being imperfect can more interesting, and to try to not view my mistakes as negative, as long as I learn from them. :mending_heart:

5 Likes

I have been eyeing these up since the first set. Love the new designs too.

That’s fantastic. Love that people are still having fun and trying new things.

1 Like

I don’t know who makes CIY switches like the Asura, and I don’t know who makes NuPhy’s MX-compatible switches - but I’m pretty sure it’s the same manufacturer. Whoever it is.

NuPhy’s don’t have the hole in the tube like the Asuras do, but many other mold markings appear very similar if not identical. I see that NuPhy has removed any mention of Gateron on the sales pages of these switches - I suspect that was about as true as them being involved in the Baby Kangaroo design. At this point I’m leaning towards Huano because of the appearance of that little hole, but honestly still scratching my head on that one.

1 Like

I believe CIY Asura and the others from that series is made by BSUN, the bottom of Nuphy looks similar to other BSUN 5-pin bottoms

1 Like

Price for vintage stuffs are just totally out of any logic ! Prices of old Cherry boards are pure non sens, they are more expensive than a new custom…

It’s the same for vintage HiFi, people are dumb enough to pay hundred of dollars for an old middle class amplifier just because it has a silver vintage look… It’s like the fashion for vinyls, it’s so funny to hear that the sound of vinyls are better than CDs, damn it, are people stupid or what?

In the end, it’s all just people without the slightest personality who follow fashions and influencers, imagining that with the latest fashionable vintage thing they will finally have personality… Quite pathetic after all.

2 Likes

Well, with modern advancements in planned obsolescence, at least we won’t have to worry about the next generation of folks over-paying for our current stereo equipment. :stuck_out_tongue:

If humanity disappeared and my house were left to the elements for 10,000 years, visiting aliens would find:

• Remains of the brick walls
  • Foundation of nearby shed
  • Iron-oxide rich soil where appliances used to be
  • A mound of plastic refuse under soil where the home theater stuff was
  • And the most preserved: 3 or 4 visually-intact custom keyboards
4 Likes

I pondered building a keyboard today, that is, until I went to my stabilizer bin and realized… I’m out of stabilizers! I haven’t been without stabilizers on hand since 2016. Hmm…

TIME TO GO SHOPPING

8 Likes

What about all of those “Switch Preserves” you have? I mean, isn’t that why they are in Ball® mason jars???

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

4 Likes

Good point. Heavy glass lasts basically forever (though it can get ground down to what is essentially sand after an eon).

See also: toilets and pedestal sinks.

The toilet is where I store my clicky switches…
:rofl: :poop:

2 Likes

sploo

(Holes reference)

3 Likes

I think that rarity, collectability, and maybe even an elitist sense of exclusiveness ultimately play a large role in the underlying market forces that yield such pricing, perhaps more so than purely judgements about relative quality, which are anyways fundamentally subjective and easily swayed by romantic notions of provenance.

Maybe it’s comparable to attitudes about rare, old vintages of wine.

However, there is also endless debate about whether the best modern violins outperform Stradivari.

2 Likes

Good luck trying to understand this hobby using logic.

7 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

Yes, it’s all about status, I’m like that, you too, it’s human after all :thinking:

2 Likes

I found a unnamed v3 stabilizer on aliexpress and was wondering how something that looked this good was only sold by a couple of different “thousands of random stuff” stores. A reverse google image search identified them as Keychron and they are what Keychron include in their keyboards

Why are Keychron selling transparent screw-in stabilizers by themselves and not the one they have in their own keyboards :thinking:

Same with Akko selling transparent screw-in but using plate mounted with stems with TPU inserts on their keyboards. I don’t get it

1 Like

My bet is that it’s the manufacturer that makes them for keychron that sells them like surplus.

1 Like

It’s also possible that the random no-name shop just grabbed the first stab picture they found that was somewhat close to the color/style they had on hand. Use the high quality picture to get people to buy, then ship the cheap knockoff.

https://www.corsair.com/newsroom/press-release/empowering-enthusiasts-drop-joins-the-corsair-family

I honestly have no idea what this is going to do. It looks like Drop will still remain separate but just under Corsair if I read that right?

8 Likes