Things that make us go... hmmm šŸ¤”

Building with these Wuque stabs was really nice and I like how their clips work, but I have to say I find them ill-suited - especially for a build that has tight tolerances around the edges. The loudest source of ticking wasnā€™t the wires or stems, but colliding caps!

Yes, I replaced them, yes, itā€™s better now

8 Likes

Had the same issue with my R1 Aurora. The included stabs had so much play that most of my spacebar was making contact with the bottom of the case. My enter was about just as wonky as yours too. A couple of keys on the number row make contact at the top as well.

Using tighter tolerance stabs is definitely the way to go on this board. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hmmmā€¦

Sent a support ticket request to MKB.eu to replace missing caps from HSA beige on brown and brown on beige. They said they were working on getting the backspace from JTK as it was missing. But they said the missing R2 PgUp and R3 PgDn were part of the set they have and I should have it. So they sent me two replacements (lol, i just realized they only sent replacements for the brown set even though I asked for both). Anyway, doesnā€™t matter. They sent yet another R3 PgUp and R2 PgDn.

I get that it can be hard to determine which row a keycap belongs to, but when the support ticket is related to that specificallyā€¦ you think they would take the time to double check. Also, it was shipped DHL, so probably cost them like $10 to send it.

I tried to explain that if they look through the myriad of PgDn caps in their current stock, they will notice there is no flat/neutral cap (R3)

4 Likes

Every solder PCB should come with some labels or even a print out diagram for which key position fits what, especially when web searches canā€™t find stuff hidden on discords and discordā€™s search is miserable (try searching for ā€œstepped cap slockā€ and youā€™ll get results for ā€œstep 3. caps lockā€)

1 Like

I just realized that mechsandco has removed their group buy update page as well as deleting all group buy related channels on their discord. Theyā€™ve also removed all discussion threads. The only way you can get updates is through email. Iā€™ve emailed twice now. Once last week and once this week. No response.

The Hubble65 group buy thread on Geekhack hasnā€™t been updated in almost 2 years.

Hmmā€¦

4 Likes

I heard they wanted to shut down discussion about group buys they hadnā€™t paid invoices on, and that other vendors had already received and shipped. I wound up getting SA Copper from Prototypist because I was wary of going through Mechs & Co.

3 Likes

This was from the Milkyway keys server (which theyā€™ve had their own issues in the past butā€¦)

4 Likes

Sounds like they are simply out of money. Itā€™s bonkers to me that you could be so careless with that much money that people have entrusted to you.

I hope someone will be able to take over fullfillment of orders if they go completely off the radar. Iā€™ve never seen it happen with a vendor this deep in, but Iā€™ve certainly had it happen with individuals who run group buys.

3 Likes

P3D is also closing due to lack of funds. At least they are fulfilling all their orders. I think a lot of companies expanded a ton in the heyday of stimulus checks and and the key boom and now things are settling back down and these smallish shops are hemorrhaging money.

I also wonder if Mechs and Co doesnā€™t understand the importance of liquidation of inventory (even at a loss) to get cash to meet your obligations. Bankruptcy court will liquidate everything anyway, you might as well do it yourself.

The message from P3D:

ldr: P3D took on too much business debt, sales are not able to cover the payments, and I am personally filing for bankruptcy and closing P3D over the next couple months.

Story Time

I started P3D back in 2019 starting with 3d printing custom keyboard cases, and after great feedback started expanding more as a side hustle until I was able to diy a CO2 laser to start cutting stacked acrylic cases. I went full time with P3D in 2020 during the pandemic, and I couldnā€™t be prouder of what I built and the thousands of custom keyboards Iā€™ve shipped out. I ran P3D from my basement, which expanded into my garage as well. I took loans out to replace my DIY laser with a professional laser, as well as a nice CNC router to cut switch plates and other misc parts. I always had the intention of building something lasting. I hired my best friend to work alongside me in 2021, and expanded to hire my other best friend in 2022 as P3D continued to grow. After introducing Cerakote in late 2022, it was pretty clear I had outgrown my garage and basement at my house, and I had to find a shop.

In July 2022 we moved to a new city, and after getting a new house I rented out a larger shop to work out of. I hired my dad to run the laser, while my best friend Mike moved with us to run the CNC and take over packing as well as helping me as my right hand man as I focused on Cerakote, customer service, product development and growth. This is also when I took more loans to build a spray booth for cerakote and future powder coat, as well as taking out more loans for general product prototyping and future projects. Sales were great, and support for P3D was at itā€™s peak. Starting in October 2022, sales started to decline heavily as the overall state of the economy started to falter. I kept my employees on for far too long, dwindling all our cash in the meantime, and by the time I was able to let go and lay off everyone in Feburary and May, it was too late to right the ship. Sales never bounced back, and the struggle continued. This year has been pretty rough. I havenā€™t taken a paycheck since last November, and have thankfully been supported by my amazing wife as I tried to get P3D back on track. Iā€™m not trying to make this a pity party, I have loved P3D. The joy I get from seeing all the cases and products weā€™ve shipped out and enjoyed brings me so much emotions and happiness. The point of this post is to explain how I ended up here, as well as provide final direction for the store.

This is the end of the line and P3D will be closing itā€™s doors on (7/31/23)

Starting today/tomorrow, all our in stock and made to order products will receive varying discounts so we can sell off our inventory and raw materials weā€™ve accrued over the years. I will be posting up tons of ā€œgarage saleā€ type items such as b-Stocks, protos, and other interesting stuff around the shop to clear house. It is just me running the shop still, so expect delays on shipping and production. As we near our move out date, I will close down made to order products so we can get them done before we close up. It goes without saying, but all sales will be final. If you need customer support for anything please reach out ASAP so I can take care of it before we close, after that I will likely not be able to help anymore.

This is an update I have been dreading, and Iā€™m so sorry for not being able to continue to offer our services anymore. It has been a wonderful run, and I hope to stick around in the keyboard community for years to come, except now as a hobbyist instead of a vendor.

I appreciate all the support from everyone these last few years. I hope you all can continue to cherish the keyboards and keep the community strong!

14 Likes

This thing must be quite the HHKB, especially given the description.

https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m45532756418?conversionType=service_page_search

I guess?

JIS layout is the enemy of my brain.

At least theyā€™re upfront and honest about the situation, it feels like not every vendor would be that transparent. Kudos to P3D, Iā€™ve heard good things about their work

I agree they were a top notch vendor and are handling this much better than Mechs and Co. Iā€™ve ordered a lot from P3D.

2 Likes

I feel the same about the layout. But whatā€™s more amusing to me is just the price and literally no other information beyond ā€œHHKBā€.

Well, it isnā€™t Aprilā€¦ :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I think they got word that Geon was going to be selling ā€œSlidersā€ and wanted in on that marketā€¦ :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

ā€œā€¦Hmmā€ is right in regards to P3D. I also ordered a lot from them and ended up with a lot of cool keebs from there. They produced a lot of cool designs and it is bad news to see them close. Props to Jake to keep it on the up and up and get all orders out.

In light of this shutdown and a few other companies closing in less reputable ways I am a little concerned about some of the other shops. Itā€™s no secret if you look at NK_, CK, Omni, Mekibo that thereā€™s really no issue picking up extras like there used to be. They must be sitting on a lot of excess inventory, hopefully all of that inventory doesnā€™t mean anything.

3 Likes

(When you go to start a project with your big set of metric tools to find imperial screws on the keeb)

5 Likes

:rotating_light::rotating_light:@Deadeye STEP AWAY FROM THE AIR TOOLS!!! :rotating_light::rotating_light:

1 Like

Got an ebay alert for a search term that Iā€™ve been watching for like 6 years and didnt even remember:

Xerox 6085!

I was likeā€¦ coool! I wonder how much :scream:

Oooh, free shipping. :rofl:

8 Likes