Things that make us go... hmmm 🤔

Leave it unpeeled… and you’ve got a new type of keyboard mod

4 Likes

I put some MM stems and sprit springs in Gateron housings the other day. I liked the switches well enough, but was perplexed by the grinding/rubbing of the stem when I pressed on the top edge (north) of several keycaps. It wasn’t present everywhere, so I figured it was just mold inconsistency.

Welp, I was wrong. I was using some keyreative blanks form TKC. It was the keycaps! I found out when I accidentally put the wrong cap back in place of a grindy one and it was suddenly smooth. Upon close inspection, it looks like some of the stems are very slightly irregular on one side.

Normal side on the right. Acutally, you can see the extra bulge on the left in this pic:

Irregular side. Keycap has been rotated 180 for this shot. Now the bulge is on the right:

I have seen keycap stem rubbing a few times over the past decade but it’s been an obvious flaw (GMK caps with extra material that’s pretty easy to remove).

Maybe this was why I hated the Gateron UHMKnowns so much?? I kept getting an annoying amount of stick slip at the top. But I was using these same keycaps! LOL! I’ll have to retry them. Too bad I modded all of them already. I guess I can throw the original stems back in a few and test.

Anyway… if you get surprise sounds/rubbing and think “hmmm…” You might want to swap out keycaps!

5 Likes

Yup. That’d rub against inner edges of switch top housing. Good to know. Adding this to my list of potential issues.

I didn’t immediately notice what you meant by bulge so…

3 Likes

Weird. While lubing KTT Monochrome Onyx, I noticed a blemish on the left-side of stems that looks very similar to one I found on the right-side Haimu Pastel Peach stems.

Haimu Pastel Peach

KTT Monochrome Onyx (sorry for the messy lube job)

3 Likes

Kazewa Enter67 product photo from Drop

It’s a nice photo and a perfectly solid looking entry custom, but I did find a few chuckles hidden here and there:

• Is that a wireless, battery-powered dedicated knob, or… :thinking:
  • XL screw tray; original function related to first item? :newspaper_roll:
  • Stamped switch-puller realistically bent :+1:
5 Likes

I’ll add a couple in:

• What’s the black ball perched atop The Ring? Is this Frodo’s desk?
  • The name made me think of Kazaa, but that may just be me showing my age.
3 Likes

I feel like they’re peppering their pics with knick-knacks that will eventually wind up on their upcoming Deskscapes site.

2 Likes

I knew I’d heard “kaze wa” somewhere before, turns out it was in an Anime theme song back in the day.

vash-thumbs-up

“Kaze wa” means “the wind” in Japanese, and “kazewa” means “scolded” in Swahili. Apparently it’s also a Kurdish name that means “sun set”.

I’m gonna take a wild guess at the Japanese meaning, but who knows - there are some pretty funky keeb names out there. Looking at you, James Donkey

1 Like

I think I’m missing something. Why are all GMK keycaps on NovelKeys’ website labeled as CYL?

I assume it’s some branding change with the impending production of MTNU?

4 Likes

yep. CYL is the new prefix for cylindrical caps. The OG GMK profile

6 Likes

I’m still hoping they change the naming scheme. Maybe just GMK-C and GMK-M

C for Cylindrical but people could also think “cherry” profile.

I was so confused when I saw an IC for GMK CYL WLK-MN

6 Likes

I’m in the designer’s discord server for GMK CYL WLK-MN and the first thing I thought when I saw the full name was “Jesus, say that 5 times fast”

6 Likes

Ye I “hate” that CYL change and the link picture for _nk is such a good example.
First time I saw it I thought it was a overpriced PBT “clone”

1 Like

Did you guys see the finished product for DCS Dark Sky? I love DCS and I really like GMK Soware. I’ve seen Puddsy’s photos:

And now the product photos at NovelKeys

The blue and red on the modifiers:

Hmm…

7 Likes

As somebody aged 45 whose eyesight is getting noticably and substantially worse suddently (don’t even talk to me about seeing for fine soldering :sob:), can confirm. Need more contrast or more light or both.

2 Likes

I concur. I’d like to add, f$%# you astigmatism.

2 Likes

All of those R4 modifiers legitimately look nearly blank. Especially the RShift. I’m the biggest fan of DCS but that’s not promising.

3 Likes

Got an email from Protozoa studio about Foundation board shipping soon. I thought “cool, maybe I can get in on extras!”

Wait a minute…. Did I buy one?

Checks email. Bought a board with two tops and two badges. Welp. I have no recollection of doing that. I mean, I remember wanting to.

Hmmm…

5 Likes

Intoxicated pixel wanted to give sober pusher a surprise :thinking:
I always wanted to do something like that, but I always remember. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I was wrong when I said this blemish on KTT Monochrome Onyx was similar to one on Haimu Pastel Peach. Because of its meh acoustics, I didn’t try lubing the rest of the switches until today.

To try different lubes to find out which would be best, I used a small dental applicator and noticed something I didn’t when I used a brush to lube the first. Haimu Pastel Peach’s blemish is more a indentation so they just trap some lube. Blemish on Onyx is an extrusion. It sticks out so when the applicator gets caught as its moved over it.

Why wasn’t this was noticed when I tested the switch? It’s because the large bump is exactly where the blemish is. So, Onyx actually comes with 3 bumps: two on the legs and one on the side.

2 Likes