Things that make us go... hmmm 🤔

More chuckle than confusion; how our IT guy feels about the knockoff flat Apple keebs our company has been using…

13 Likes

The RAW switch series.

This was the name of the first KeyGeek switch I saw, but then HaiMu had one, too. Now BSUN, Gateron, Huano, and Tecsee have them, and all using the same logo.

Looks like Geon is actually the common thread here (their badge is on the Tecsee switch), and this appears to be their idea. The only thing I’m still scratching my head about is this - what’s the concept or unifying theme? At first I thought it was novel plastics and no factory lube, but some of these newer ones either have light lube in selected places, or even a full treatment. Some of them also have more traditional materials than others.

I’ll say this - Geon has succeeded in making me curious… curious enough to add these to my list. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Are they just saying “raw” as in, there is no color added to the plastic? It is rather confusing to have so many different manufacturers making a switch by the same name.

4 Likes

Maybe that’s it. The Tecsee one looks slightly purple to me compared to the others, but that could just be from camera white-balance and may very well be pigment-free plastic.

4 Likes

I picked up some Haimu RAWs and ran them through the break-in machine. I still have to lube the springs, but aside from that, broken in they feel pretty smooth. I might try the thinnest layer of GS2 on just the stem, but honestly don’t feel bad out of the box.

That spring ping though… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Ha, facts… that’s why I picked the sticker on the right for those:

3 Likes

I am also running into the same thing with the JWK/Vertex V1’s.

Thinking I may just lube all springs prior to breaking in switches going forward. Doing it after the fact is tiresome as I am trying to keep the stems and housings matched.

I have become a big believer of bag/tub lubing springs as of late. No longer am I a donut-dipper!!

2 Likes

My favorite is the random “T” on the left side. QWER… and lets place the T randomly somwhere because we ran out of room.

1 Like

I had this open in a tab all week and just watched it, was disturbed, and immediately showed my wife so that she too could be unsettled. :sweat_smile:

This is where I end up whenever I start writing notes on a post-it.

2 Likes

So Prototypist has GMK Botanical 2 extras live but uhhhh this is the first time I’ve seen something like this

Turns out they were asked by Omnitype to put that up…

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

can you still order it though? Is that just a statement?

1 Like

I was able to order it, and a friend said his shipped. So far I haven’t gotten a refund notice yet lol

2 Likes

Hehehehehehe

2 Likes

This whole thing reminds me of when there was a brief Brexit-related collapse of the currency in Britain and you could buy a board from a British vendor and have it shipped internationally cheaper than buying from the American vendor. Can’t recall the board, but it was a significant cost savings. I don’t really have a point other than international commerce is weird.

1 Like

The “Tiger Lite Shop

I came across this place while poking around for the Chocolate Cream recolors, and at first it looks like an alternate storefront for KBDfans, even using their logo and product roster… and hey! They appear to have the chocos in stock …but the “about us” page talks about backpacks. Hmm.

Also “hmm” - little popups started appearing saying this or that person just bought [ item in my cart ] to add a false sense of urgency, like oh no this switch no one has talked about for at least six months is suddenly flying off the shelf! Never mind the notifications are all for the same item, and all coming at intervals regular enough to time a watch by. How you say… sus?

Looking a little deeper, KBDfans themselves made a post about this site, warning that it may be a scam and clarifying they have no affiliation or endorsement with them. They have a 1% trust score on one of those automated fraud websites.

So yeah! PSA: do not buy from tigerliteshop

7 Likes

Jeeze. I wonder if that’s one of the reasons the tiger lite has kinda disappeared from most places. It’s a really nice board for the money. Maybe that site gave it a bad rap.

Either that or it’s genuinely out of stock everywhere and this site is exploiting that scarcity to convince people to gamble on a questionable vendor. Similar to the scam websites popping up during the early pandemic that were “fully stocked with N95 masks,” the scam only works if everyone else is out of stock.

3 Likes

Isn’t it just that any time a KBDFans product is popular and in demand they automatically end-of-life it and replace it with a group buy for something that is expected to be in stock next year if ever?

3 Likes

Where is GMK Dune? Hmmm… I demand to speak to the manager!

3 Likes

Hmm is when you realize the POM plate you installed is actually a PC plate with unpeeled surface protection sheets.

8 Likes