Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

I also keep repeating it to myself but without great success. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I was going to post a rant about how Drop should have just made MT3 solarized mods and then split the alphas into dark, regular, and solarized. But I’ve run across enough “base set sold out, only standalone alphas remaining” offerings lately from several vendors that I’ve come to understand the logic.

3 Likes

“Happiest Hour” sale live at Omnitype today - lots of good GMK on sale, some if it significantly so. 8008 base kit at fifty bucks, for example.

5 Likes

Divinikey got Cherry MX2A Oranges & Purples in stock now! The purples are the Glarses Ergo Clear recolor & the oranges are made to replicate OG Cherry Hirose orange linears (basically a MX2A Red recolor with a slightly heavier spring).

2 Likes
5 Likes

I’m still thinking about how to buy them. But, I’ll buy them. Just an option, which way from which store, a lot)

4 Likes

I grabbed 2 sets from NK when I saw they stocked them finally. Should have them tomorrow or mon since NK is just one state away from me. Will let you guys know how they are when I get them in!

4 Likes

ooh nice! I haven’t tried Knight stabs, Maiz/Pagu/Wuque stupid stabs, or these. I feel like I’m missing a whole new generation of stabs.

2 Likes

A few Vector units for an enormous discount off of the listed extras price. If they had a WLK Silver, I would have bought it immediately.

2 Likes

If only this had a hotswap option…

1 Like

I ordered a custom keycap set yesterday.
The communication with them has been very good, they even included my request as an option in the customizer.
I’ll keep you updated on how the caps turn out, and how fast I’ll get them.

8 Likes

I need a Geon trimmer for these Owlstabs…

Unfortunately, I needed it before I installed a full complement in a QK100.

D’oh!

1 Like

I don’t think I posted this year. I’m not in for one personally but think it looks great from nice people.

Will link to post in Arisu/Alice thread as well.

3 Likes

The Micro Journal Rev.6 is kind of weird and interesting and technically a mechanical keyboard. I may be getting too old for a screen this tiny. Found via this blurb on the Verge.

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking about building almost this exact device for years, and eventually learned a bunch of folks were of similar mind when I heard about the /writingdeck subreddit. Stoked to see an option like this that’s a bit less overdone than the chonker being sold by Freewrite and the Hemingway estate.

5 Likes

That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen and now I lowkey want one. What in the ever loving heck?

2 Likes

You can save a few bills by skipping the Hemingway edition. Looks like the “smart typewriter” models use Kailh Brown. Then there’s a smaller newer one that uses a choc of some sort, but the real sin here is $500 for the one that uses a laptop scissor switch keyboard. Jesus, at that point why not get an $80 Chromebook and turn off WiFi?

3 Likes

Heh - right? I’d be pretty about something from their catalogue if not for the bonkers prices.

I settled for a BOOX Palma + Bluetooth keeb of my choice for a writing deck setup and I’ve been loving it.

The Palma is basically a standard Android device minus the phone and with an e-ink screen; more or less exactly what I needed. It seems like the modern e-ink “writing deck” thing is just starting to take off. I’m seeing more and more ads for different iterations of the idea for various purposes (some writing, some totally different non e-reader stuff like digital desk calendars) - so I wouldn’t be too surprised if there are more and better options in the near future. :slight_smile:

Edit; just remembered the name of another one - kind of between the Freewriter and the Palma being a standalone device but mainly for the desk - portable but won’t fit in your pocket. That one is called the BYOK, or Bring Your Own Keyboard.

3 Likes

interesting keycaps

They seem to be an XDA clone (maybe this one?) of Melgeek’s “Plastic” set.

Along these lines, I thoroughly enjoy whenever one of these oddities makes its way into more mainstream tech publications because the comment section is generally filled with people just having a really difficult time grasping why anyone would want a keyboard layout like this. Because, if we’re being honest, we’ve all been there at some point early on in this hobby.

3 Likes