Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Courtesy of someone in Simon stream submissions. CRP now available from mechanicalkeyboards.com. Great idea imo.

4 Likes

That’s interesting. They’ve swapped over to shopify. My 15 year order history with them is gone. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Personally, I compare everything. It’s a big spectrum as I see it. :man_shrugging: I don’t want to lead anyone astray, with that, though.

What I said was that MTNU felt more to me like DSS in practice than any other profile I have tried - I don’t meant to imply that they are actually analogous. For clarity:

In my experience MTNU feels more like DSS than anything in my collection, but that doesn’t go both ways, nor is it meant to imply they are the same - I have plenty others that are closer to MTNU than DSS. I would not say that MTNU is a good analogue for DSS, or that it would give you a clear picture of what DSS is actually like - only that MTNU is the closest to that otherwise unique profile I’ve tried so far.

It’s a bit like how pomegranate seeds are more similar to cooked corn kernels than oranges or potatoes are. They aren’t even close to the same, but more similar than other present company.

Are there any profiles you’d say are more than nominally similar to DSS? So far I think it’s one of the most unique feeling I’ve tried, and I can’t think of anything off-hand that’s actually analogous to it like some profiles are with each other (Cherry & DCX for example, not identical but one still gives a decent impression / expectation about the other).

4 Likes

Honestly: comparing pomegranate to corn, I lost you. :thinking:
In any case, I answer “no” to your question: there are no profiles that - in my limited experience - I would compare for similarity to MTNU.
I have sets with Cherry, MT3, DCS, DSS, SA, AS, AF SA profile but no, I don’t think MTNU comes close to any of them. Or at least that’s my opinion.

The question was about DSS.

Not to be contrarian, but I enjoyed the pomegranate corn illustration!

2 Likes

You’re right. Based on the list of profiles I know (the ones I listed in the previous answer) I wouldn’t say: DSS has its own uniqueness, I wouldn’t point it out as similar to any of the other profiles.

Maybe we should assign a fruit/vegetable analogy for every profile

Cherry :cherries:
DCS :strawberry:
CYL :banana:™ spacebar
DSS :corn:
MTNU :apple: (since there does not seem to be a pomegranate emoji)
MT3 :tangerine:
OEM :lemon:
MDA :pineapple:
KAT :peach:
SA :eggplant:

7 Likes

Keyboard adjacent, but really cool project/website/read/design/etc.

5 Likes

Another retro riff from 8BitDo, this time on the Model M (or perhaps more precisely, the Model M SSK and a somewhat ahistorical numpad). I think this one still works fairly well, but they’re getting close to the edge of what their case’s NES/Famicom inspired design language can be massaged into supporting, at least with any elegance. Already, the Macro buttons are rather out of place, and the Mario-brick dongle would be a head scratcher without the product line’s context. Then, the extra controls for the hardware, which worked quite well for the NES look, start to evoke not so much the M, but its cheaper membrane descendants.

1 Like

matt3o posted pictures of prototype sample of the new keycaps profile PBS that will be manufactured by Keyreative. There are more pictures on his discord

10 Likes

Those look awesome. Nice to have something to be excited about all these years later :slight_smile:

One thing I don’t like about Keyreative PBT is the texture. But I’m hoping Matt3o’s caps will be better.

1 Like

What’s up with the texture? Just extra rough? I never messed with Keyrative caps yet myself.

Too smooth for me, actually. They feel silky. I prefer the texture of DSA PBT from Signature Plastics.

3 Likes

I don’t super love the texture on KAM Superuser for the same reason. It’s like a weird middle ground between smooth/slick like ABS MT3 or HSA and standard PBT pebbly textures.

1 Like

nice

I’ll voice my love for the Keyreative KAT texture that’s very much like silk. Tastes differ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Extras available of the Equinox XL. I’m truly tempted because I don’t own anything in this form factor. Wish it was $100 cheaper, or hotswap… or both :rofl:

4 Likes

Has anyone posted here with a review of these yet? Switches with ball bearings inside?

Genuinely curious here.

1 Like

@ThereminGoat did one Ball Bearing Blue Switch Review — ThereminGoat's Switches (not sure if he posted it here or not)

4 Likes