Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Did that get disgusting over time like a pen grip or console controller joystick? I assume not necessarily since it’s a different material.

1 Like

Their Brownbird is supposed to be nice. Patty did a vid on it. This looks cool! I like the inset character set using the layers.

1 Like

Unfortunately I only had it for a few weeks so I couldn’t tell ya.

1 Like

Someone is selling a new set of SA Tatooine for $30. If you like the sculpt and the colors, I highly recommend.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/1d2pxrl/uswa_h_keyboards_space80_am_relic80_cyberboard_r1/

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I didn’t already own it.

1 Like

Divinikey got the KBDfans Roller switches in stock! Just grabbed 108 of them to try out, they’re pricey but I’m hoping they’re worth it. KBDfans Roller Linear Switches – Divinikey

2 Likes

Canonkeys got some new & restock NicePBT sets up for pre order right now. BRG is back for those that have wanted it, but what really caught my eye is the Reverse Beige set! Has that very very old Cherry colorway (actually not sure it even was Cherry’s colorway, but all the vintage boards I’ve ever seen it on used Cherry MX switches). Pretty cool stuff IMO!

BTW anyone have experience with NicePBT sets? I’ve never heard anything bad about them, but TBH I haven’t heard much about their quality. Would really like to hear some opinions on them before I buy one.

2 Likes

I own 2 sets. They’re similar to the Novelkeys PBT sets in quality. Legends aren’t quite as nice, but they’re good.

I give NK PBT a 10/10 and NicePBT a 9/10. Totally random numbers but that’s how I feel.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, that tells me all I need to know! I agree NK’s PBT sets are top notch, I’d honestly only put them under OG dyesubs, CRP, & OG ePBT. Definitely grabbing a set!

The price and kitting on the new NicePBT sets are great. I love that one of these sets will cover every weirdly-sized split-spacebar board I have. However, I do wish that the Reverse Beige yellow row was on the number row rather than the function row; I don’t have a single board with a function row!

1 Like

Yeah I think the AKB guys were going for absolute authenticity on this set. While I love the way it looks & the yellow function row appeals to me since I’ve been into TKLs lately. I do agree an alert row even if it was a small child kit would be really nice for this. The reason the they did function row is because of the board it was inspired by.

5 Likes

also ec660c will drop tomorrow

for yall who copped heavy-6s and dont have an fc660c:

4 Likes

CK x Haimu Pastel Sand Linear Switch. Got some of these a week or so ago. Just using them today. I like the push feel (smooth and full travel), and the spring (Medium-heavy).

One thing I dislike about them is the slightly higher pitched topping out sound. It’s especially noticeable with the slight wiggle they have at the top. I think it could be fixed with a bit of 205g0.

I’d give these (on my random scale or meaningless numbers) a 10/10 for push feel, a 7.95/10 for sound (stock)

5 Likes

Mmm… I honestly find it very difficult to compare MTNU to DSS: both in terms of angle, shape and material they are very, very different.

Agreed they are very different; only similar “on-paper” in that they are both low-profile, sculpted, all-row spherical keycaps - notable only because the list of profiles that share even that limited description is pretty short.

1 Like

Thanks for the background on this colorway! I didn’t realize it was based on a specific vintage design. I like the idea of a child kit for this set, but alas, it doesn’t seem like NicePBT does child kits (or at least CannonKeys doesn’t carry them, from what I can tell).

1 Like

I got a batch of these as well. Can confirm your take, though I always feel the need to lube the top housing of every pre-lubed (or any) switch that I’ve owned for this very reason.

Another thing I noticed was that they are really pingy – not sure if that’s a spring (most likely) or leaf issue. Did you experience the same?

Ha. Sure enough. I hadn’t noticed before, but when I put my head closer down to the keyboard it’s straight up a G. Quite melodic. Same pitch on most switches. It’s definitely louder on some than others. I don’t hear it with my computer and fan on while sitting the usual distance away. Maybe a benefit of getting older? :rofl:

If you slam the key down and hold it, you hear the ringing. So it has to be the leaf, right? the spring would be under tension at that point.

NovelKeys is running a flash sale on Cherry Olivia (PBT dyesub). The “standard” and “APL” base kits are $50 each. Not bad at all for 178 keycaps:

2 Likes
Summary

Looking at the protagonist, the steel wire is designed with balance in mind, and the satellite axis is a symmetrical shape on the left and right (two sets of shape holes). According to actual measurements, the steel wire is uneven, but after that it is simple. When using lubricant 3204 + HVG filling, problems miraculously do not arise after installation on the machine. My personal analysis of the noise and swing phenomenon is mainly due to the fact that the steel wire angle is inserted into the steel wire groove. The false shaft and the steel wire boundary at the pinion axis seat are exactly parallel, which further increases stability.
In configuration, it is equipped with 5 sets of satellite shafts with 42u, 16.25u and 1*7u steel cables. In terms of accessories, it is equipped with cushions to increase the height of the satellite shaft.

4 Likes

DSS and MTNU are very different and I don’t think they can be compared just because they share a handful of generic technical specifications. I also find it quite strange that MTNU can be indicated as the most similar in-practice to DSS: both for inclination, for shape of the top and for grain of the material they are on two quite different planets.
I tried to take some photos to try to make perceive the - in my opinion - obvious differences.

In this photo you can see how different is the shape of the top dish: DSS is much more square and less deep. You can also notice the different grain: MTNU is as smooth as butter.

DSS is also on average much higher.

About slope, R3 and R5 are quite similar but the others are very very different.

I could never, ever compare these two very different profiles.

7 Likes