Things that make us go... hmmm 🤔

Deskthority was bought by a person that claimed to be a keyboard afficionado, but really wasn’t, and I think has been sold to a marketing firm and is very much up in the air. The former admin (matt3o) was locked out of doing anything to maintain it for a long time and it was full of spam. It’s gotten a bit better, but the future is definitely up in the air, and considering how much information is in the wiki, it’s a shame.

You can read a lot about the state of it last year in this post:

As of now, I don’t think anyone knows who owns it currently. It seems to be in a state of benign neglect.

3 Likes

That sure does look a lot like RAMA’s CAPS profile (formerly KATE, some colors currently in production, others in revision) - I know it’s been vaguely cloned for well over a year now, but these look really close to the keys pictured in RAMA’s sample photos:

Makes me wonder - is Mastars the OEM for CAPS - or are they doing a remarkable job of cloning it? :stuck_out_tongue: (spoiler: they’re the OEM - see below)

Edit: timing may or may not be a coincidence; I got a message from these folks last night - kind of your typical “hey we see you’re a keeb account, we make keeb stuff, call us if you want keeb stuff” kind of thing - but they mentioned that they are indeed the OEM for many well known keeb community names including both RAMA and HIBI - so yes, those are CAPS in those photos. ( it’s happeniiiiing )

5 Likes

Earlier this year we had scented switches - now we got scented keyboard modules.

Apparently that yellow block is the module, and the tan colored relief tile is actually an oil diffuser / release element. You can drip the included (or any other) scented oil onto the element, and it will evaporate oil over time. The adjustable built-in lights surrounding the element might help it evaporate oil a little faster, but who knows.

Well - add this to the list of dodads I never would have imagined integrating with keebs.

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t hate the idea. I am assuming the tan part would be spongy like the diffuser rods.

Might get kind of messy over time, but actually pretty cool idea.

2 Likes

I have to say I like the fresco.
I’d never consider adding a fragrance oil to it, but I do like how it looks!

This guy who just spilled 300ml of smoothie on his keyboard.

5 Likes

I got a sample of one of those scented Little Daisy switches. I’ll be real… it reminded me more of floral-scented diapers than actual flowers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Otherwise seems like a really nice silent, though.

3 Likes

Happy Father’s Day in July, everyone.

5 Likes

I wonder if they were doing A/B testing on their last email and forgot to update either the A or the B version, because the email I received from Zeal didn’t mention Father’s Day at all.

Honestly, I feel like Father’s Day in July is 10x more acceptable than an $80 aluminum enclosure for your disposable Bic mini lighter…

DOES NOT INCLUDE BIC LIGHTER. PLEASE REMOVE BIC LIGHTER STICKER WHEN INSTALLING INTO CASE!

6 Likes

Norbauer has the Heavy and now RAMA has a Lighter…

Makes sense. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Ha. Perfect. And they also are both metal enclosures build to hold pre existing OEM items that were plastic.

3 Likes

Well I will say this. For being expertly machined I see a lot of tooling marks. Also, thats just going to make it so the whole case gets hot being made of aluminum. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

lol to make it a true Norbauer experience, Rama should have you carefully disassemble the Bic to put the components inside the metal case.

The Heavy is lovely, but if I want a metal lighter I think I’ll just buy a Zippo.

3 Likes

To be fair, you do have to remove the BIC sticker… :wink:

3 Likes

In Sweden father’s day is on second Sunday of November. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Now, having your lighter stolen won’t be an accident. It will be on purpose.

2 Likes

Ha. I looked back at the email from the actual Father’s Day sale and it was for 20% off. So this new Father’s Day I get an additional 5% off. Perhaps the email campaign used the wrong subject to populate the title and intro.

3 Likes

In case y’all missed it. The Mechs&Co saga is not looking to have a happy ending.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/15bl163/psa_mechs_co_transparency_update_next_steps/

Sincere apologies for anyone caught up in this fiasco.

8 Likes

Oh wow they have a lot of unfullfilled orders… And most of them are unpaid…

2 Likes

Yeah. I have a hubble65 in it. No way to get charge back from that long ago. Boo. I really want the board, too. So I’ll probably buy an extra from whoever sells them off

2 Likes