Mix and match keycap sets (post yours!)

I’m also a fan of the set but not the fonts.

Perhaps what we really need is for this to get turned into a KKB or GMK set :blush:

Calling all designers! I bet we could even come up with some nice novelties too!

2 Likes

While looking for something like Trailblazer I found that I liked the GMK Dual Shot Accent kit so much that I decided to get it. I think I’ll try it with a lot of sets but I first tried adding it to what was on my desk already:

Navy Meridian with GMK Godspeed and GMK Dual Shot Accent:

(once again please ignore my poor photography and dirty desk and keyboard)

I thought it came out pretty well despite an initial worry about having 3 different shades of blue. Be interesting to see what it would look like with Purple CTRLs on each corner but I don’t think I have a Purple set with black legends

7 Likes

that actually looks quite good together, I think the only small thing that is throwing me off is the fact that the bottom mods have white text. If they also had black text like the dualshot mods I think it would look like its from the original set.

2 Likes

hahaha that’s awesome!

1 Like

Not sure if I’ve posted this before, but GMK katakana wob alphas X GMK lunar mods go hard.

Bonus analogue dreams bars X DCS paperwork

Also very subtle GMK beige add-on bars X DCS 9009

13 Likes

Playing around with combos that could work on this. Capturer WoB with OG cherry doubleshot Keycaps, yellowed and partially shined, with a JTK/DMK cherry ESC key. And i also tried it with a red enter key from Aifei BoW.

7 Likes

SA Ca(r)pollo - Carbon Dual Alpha & Godspeed Apollo Mod

8 Likes

A simple & clean one here. GMK Minimal 2 with KKBxGeon Gigachad CMYK.

4 Likes

How do the two match up profile-wise?

1 Like

Pretty much perfectly, the scoop of the KKB caps kinda looks like it’s ever so slightly deeper than GMK but in use it’s not a difference you can really feel or even see for that matter. I had to put 1.5u keys right next to each other off a board to even kinda notice that & it’s so small it might just be the specific KKB key I used to compare. Overall I doubt anyone would notice you’ve mixed KKB caps with GMK unless you told them.

2 Likes

NK Taro alphas + Purpurite mods on bespoke Mini1800

8 Likes

Got some new roselle switches today (they are a lovely scarlet red). I was putting them in my Polar Route Matrix board and it gave me an idea

GMK iceberg mods and accents with Crimson Cadet alphas.

Bloody Iceberg

12 Likes

Beauty

1 Like

Posted this keeb once before on the desk thread when I first put it together, but I think it belongs here, too. Pictured here in its natural habitat, my new work keeb:

The keyboard is a Yunzii AL71 with a couple of my favorite keysets on it.

Keysets in question:

• KeyKobo White on Black (all keys with white legends)

• GMK Prepress with Poster Alphas & Novelties

Prepress has been one of my favorite keysets since its original IC, but I always thought it could use just a little bit more black - so I combined its extra-punchy Poster Alphas kit with KKB’s WoB for a nice high-contrast CMYK test-print theme.

KKB’s keyshape is a tiny bit different when compared with GMK’s, but it’s very close - and the typeface is even closer - which makes it a great option for mixing with Cherry, GMK, and clone sets. I don’t think I’ve ever had any other keys look so natural sitting next to GMK.

A couple few more shots:

You might be able to notice the GMK and KKB blacks not quite matching here - but I like to think it fits the theme perfectly: the two keys with registration marks on them represent “rich black” (4-ink mix) while the rest are “true black” (single ink) :wink:

The black registration key next to the yellow FN one is for the second function layer, which I have mapped to OS functions like Task Manager, Show Desktop, Close Window, etc.

8 Likes

What method(s) did you use to remap the keys on this board?

It’s hardly mentioned in the materials that come with them, but there’s software available for Yunzii’s boards here:

The files themselves are hosted on Google Drive and the installers freak out Windows Defender - but as far as I can tell they’ve yet to try accessing the internet. :man_shrugging: It’s not the best software I’ve ever used, but isn’t the worst, either - plenty of options for remapping, macros, etc. - though there are a couple bugs.

Some of the hard-coded functions can get broken if you move stuff like the keys used for controlling the lighting. For example, with my current configuration I can’t actually control the side lighting, apparently because I moved the RCTRL key that’s otherwise hard-coded to be part of controlling it. On the other hand, I moved the DEL key, but the lighting control still works for it as long as you use the key where it used to be. Aside from little wrinkles like those it works great - and I don’t even use the lighting on this board so said wrinkles aren’t an issue for me.

2 Likes

Oh, I really like the ISO enter and right-hand function keys – what board is that?

I posted these on the AF SA thread, but here’s two mixed color combos of those keycaps I put together recently.

Novelkeys NK87 (Comet Blue) with AF SA pink and white caps:

Monsgeek M6 (Purple) with AF SA pink and purple caps (annoyed the purple didn’t come with short space bars for the Alice layout, but so it goes):

4 Likes

@schizobovine Sorry, only just saw your comment. This is Ciantha’s Skandivan pcb in an mb44 case (which was originally designed around a minivan layout). Basically a uni-stagger QAZ with two macro cols.

1 Like