Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

DSS WoB extras up for sale.

3 Likes

I hope Kbdfans picks it up like HSA Rouge so Divinikey will end up with it.

2 Likes

I suppose there’s always the KBDFans Ali Express Store if no US vendors are carrying the new HSA sets. Looks like shipping to the US East Coast would be about $11 for me on HSA Eccentric. Not my first choice, but desperate times, desperate measures.

(Still keeping my fingers crossed that Vala starts carrying the new sets so I can pick them up during their sales.)

dang it, they have the goofy modifiers :rofl:

also, why is there an ISO enter but no ANSI enter?

Silly 40s people :slight_smile:

It is for ‘no-stab’ people, e.g. @wjrii :laughing:

3 Likes

LOL, I guess so! One of the weird things I’ve realized is that there is nothing new under the sun. I basically make 1800s where the core is a 40% instead of a 60%. :rofl:

If one were so inclined, though TBH I could do custom SA-P for only a little bit more than this, is there any difference between DSS R3 and DSA?

Not sure how long they’ve been there, but NovelKeys has KBDFans Roller switches:

4 Likes

You may have already seen it, but Alex posted a review of the FLIP 6P.

Looks like a pretty solid board, particularly at the listed price point. I’ve been using the DR-70F for a few months now and it’s been great. The FLIP seems to have some nice quality of life improvements like magnetic connectors instead of ribbon cables and VIA on the tri-mode board (VIAL on wired) as opposed to their proprietary software for the DR-70F tri-mode.

cc @rambus1138

4 Likes

I will join this no-stab club soon I think lol. Basically you just need to find the right keysets or else it will be a mix n match set on your keyboard, right? Like being eclectic. I am still tinkering on KLE for a personal taste layout. I can’t imagine myself using 1u spacebar. I just hate the feel of accidentally pressing two switches. Yes, I can program the keyboard to ignore the excess input to prevent double presses but ughh the feel of compressing those two springs at the same time, in addition to awkwardly placing my thumb in the space between two keycaps, is unnbearableee. Go ahead mock me its okay :joy:. I’m not as good at typing as you are surely lol

I would be grateful if someone could tell me a 40s kit with 2 pieces of 1.75u-spacebar. Cherry profile, pleasee. Or perhaps this DSS WoB is the only option? sadd

Using your 3d printer? That would be cool.

DSS r3 has a certain angle I believe, unlike DSA.

1 Like

Yes, I think you may be best served by finding the caps you like first, then tweaking your layout to match. Otherwise you have to mix and match, use inaccurate legends, or start diving into making your own legends; unsculpted can help, but even that is not always perfect. If you want a window into a diseased mind, I made quite a few bottom row layouts for the the no-stabs battleship I keep noodling with but never build, and I labeled them with where I saw them. Some of the enjoyPBT kits in Cherry, certain ones that break out into subkits, will have two 1.75u in their 40s kit.The other quirk is that relying on 40s kits means the most common 1.25u replacement for Caps lock is a tab key. Control and “three-line” menu are out there too, but the easiest method might be use an ISO left shift+punctuation setup and keep the 1.75u Caps Lock (or Control).

screengrab

For SA-P, nah, though that would be cool! Resin printers are the ones people use more commonly for “nice” keycaps, but I am just not motivated to add big reservoirs or weird liquid chemicals to my setup. :grinning: I just meant that assembling exactly what I need from Signature Plastics in dye-subbed SA-P for what I’ve been building lately would run me about $160. IIRC, it would basically be an Alphas kit, a numpad kit, a 40s mods kit, and 3-5 singles.

Also, thanks for the info on DSS. :+1:

2 Likes

The next TKM release is in the oven.

Hmm… the theme is “rewind” and I see blue and yellow.

Maybe?

8 Likes

I think you’re right. The only other (famous) options I can think of with that color scheme are Ikea, Best Buy, and Pokemon, but none would really go with a “rewind” theme.

1 Like

This is what I thought of. We’ve seen it pop up a few places already, though. Excited to see for sure

4 Likes

Community-favorite switches of July, 2024: I asked around, and many vendors/manufacturers were kind enough to send me lists of their best-selling switches. (If you’ve seen this already, I just added some belated lists like Gateron and Kailh:

Unfortunately, no way to aggregate this info into a single top list, at least at this point. Some shops sent me sales volumes too, but not enough for a unified top list. Maybe next time.

7 Likes

Interesting. Apparently, more low-profile than we see over here…

1 Like

Cannonkeys Blackout sale is live: https://cannonkeys.com/collections/sale

The Iron160 looks tempting at ~$250, but I have a mission: A-stock Equinox XL

3 Likes

Did anyone see that Divinikey has the Transition TKL Lite in-stock? Pretty awesome barebones kit starting at $55. I’ve been waiting for it to hit the states!

5 Likes

Unimeys has a BOGO on Keygeek Y1X/Y1 switches right now.

If you buy 50 or more of the new Y1X switches, you get 90 of the Y1’s for free.

I was able to snag 180 switches for ~$30 shipped.

The Y1X is similar to their Mirror Lake switch with a PBT + fiberglass bottom but with a nylon top and a Y1 stem rather than UPE.

4 Likes

It never ceases to amaze me when features that were Super Premium a couple years ago are now being packed into $55 keyboards.

4 Likes

I inadvertently seem to have avoided buying any popular switches. I’ll take that to mean that the switches I buy are too cool for the masses like obscure indie rock bands. :rofl:

Very interesting to see the current rankings even for a small subset of shops!

4 Likes