Funky Frankenswitches

Ey, this man knows me. Of course that was the first thing I tried.

Borderline unusable, unfortunately - it was so crunchy in a bad way that I didn’t bother testing if it functioned, though I still might out of curiosity.

That said I tried a few other things that were a lot more pleasant - more details on that later!

2 Likes

Haha, u are the go to guy for this stuff :blue_heart:
BTW, have u tried the Bluish White in a Blue Ink?

1 Like

Ha, maybe so - and yes I tried that last night as well. It’s not bad - definitely a lot better to use than the Cream Tactile stem in the Blue Ink. Before lubing there’s some spring and/or leaf noise but it overall has a nice moderate, rounded feel from the single one I’ve tried in a tester so far.

1 Like

Have any of you tried Cream housing with Tealio stem? I have read about this combination several times (r/switchmodders), but I don’t have any Cream’s at home to try.

Ne, but I have tried Tealios stem in Black Ink’s and it’s nice but not worth the price.

1 Like

Put some NK Cream stems and springs in Gateron Black housings yesterday, 205g0 lubed house, stem and spring, no film since I dont have that atm. So much smoother feel than a original cream. Also made 1 Creampaca - Alpaca v2 house and spring + Cream stem( only got 1 Alpaca from a switch test bag ). Similar feel to an Alpaca, but a bit more thocky sound, but a bit to short keytravel for my liking. Anyone have a good tip on what I can use my NK Creams for? Will have alot of them very soon when my Alpacas arrives.

I face a weird issue with normal stems in cream housings. If you bottom out and then try to move the stem, it makes a creaking noise. It made the frankenswitch from leftovers from a creampaca unusable.

Had some time to kill and wanted a frankenswitch for my spacebar…

Cream stem (well this is new)

Ink top housing (I chose yellow because why not)

Cobalt bottom housing

Known as the Cic (pronounced like Kick) switch cuz “Creamy Ink” was taken.

1 Like

Aww dang it, it literally exists: Creamy Ink is relly similar:

Ive Seen This One GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 Like

Bet that Cobalt bottom makes it extra snappy tho

It actually does! The one you sent me (didn’t know it was a cream stem for some reason lol) is now five pin now!

Have you tried Durock P3 stems in them (Durock POM), or UHMWPE stems?

1 Like

Fairly new to frankenswitches, but this is my first go at a tactile frankenswitch.

Parts:
Aeboard raeds top housing
Aeboard raeds bottom housing
Coffee chip ice cream stem
Coffee chip ice cream spring.

Pretty tactile switch, clackier than the normal coffee chip. Tactile bump is a bit more rounded as well. Colour combo isn’t too bad. You can also do the same with a t1 stem for a kind of dryer sounding switch, sharper bump and slightly better colour combo.

Also have a linear switch i tried.

Parts:
Bobagum bottom housing
Bobagum top housing
Aeboard raed stem
Aeboard raed spring.

Pretty high pitch, but a bit muted. Doesn’t have the same sort of clack as an aeboard raed. Very smooth.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a clacky low-mid tactility switch?

2 Likes

I have tried UHMWPE - and while I found them totally decent I wouldn’t say it’s worth it to get Creams and umwipe stems just for that.

I have not yet tried P3 stems in them, but I do have some Cobalts, which I’m pretty sure are pre-lubed recolors of Durock POMs - so I’ll give that a try sometime soon and let you know how it goes.

2 Likes

has anybody done anything with box navy stems? I have a few and i kind of like them for a clicky, but what could i do to make it sound a bit deeper, a bit more solid?

1 Like

I’m not sure there’s a whole lot lot you can do to that switch to get it much deeper, but you might try putting some 106 on the clickbar and bottom-out surfaces, and then using some thin foam on top of the PCB; either the cheap stuff keebs usually come wrapped in, or pre-cut stuff (usually called “switch pads”).

also, do you know if FFF switches are any good for frankenswitching?

Don’t have any experience with them myself, but I’d say it’s worth experimenting with one or two - I don’t see why they wouldn’t work with at least some other components from other manufacturers.

Im planning to put the stem in a cherry black for colour combo purposes, but i’ll see if it is any good sound/feel-wise. If anything im hoping it will be a little smoother.

is there anything good to be done with sp-star meteor whites and polaris grays?