Funky Frankenswitches

Don’t have any experience with them myself, but I’d say it’s worth experimenting with one or two - I don’t see why they wouldn’t work with at least some other components from other manufacturers.

Im planning to put the stem in a cherry black for colour combo purposes, but i’ll see if it is any good sound/feel-wise. If anything im hoping it will be a little smoother.

is there anything good to be done with sp-star meteor whites and polaris grays?

Alright - I tried a Cobalt stem in a Blueberry today, which has more or less the same housing as a V1 Cream, probably a different leaf. It’s alright, but stock Cobalts feel better to me.

Like Kailh’s standard linears before it, the Blueberry / Cream housing lets “long pole” stems travel all the way down to ~4mm, since they were originally paired with these longer poles in the first place - before the long-pole meta birthed a whole new subset of factory switches that intentionally bottom-out on just the center pole.

The Blueberry stem won’t clear the Cobalt’s top housing, which explains why the inverse combination feels less prices.

Edit: also tried the Cobalt stem in a Tecsee Carrot (PME housing); better than the Blueberry / Cream housing (and also appears to travel the full 4mm), but still not as good as the Cobalt housing - not quite as smooth and it looses the lovely deep clack. It looks really cool though - very Dragonball.

These should totally come in that Goku keyboard.

Maybe not quite as smooth as a Cobalt, but much more so than a stock Carrot.

I learned something about PME housings - the clip legs are fragile and may crack before they bend, totally unlike Nylon or even polycarb. Nice and slick, though.

1 Like

Thanks for trying the combo(s) out! I guess the main goal would be to see how improved the cream would feel when paired with the p3 stem over the stock stem. They may not feel as good as a cobalt and/or a Durock POM outright, but if the “feel delta” is large enough it could warrant purchasing a $30 package of the standalone p3 stems (if the shorter pole didn’t wreck havoc that is). Also, I wonder if the blueberry leaf would cause additional leaf scratch and feel worse than the cream housing?

1 Like

@Deadeye
Don’t know if you got the parts, but the jx stems u get with the konpeitous switches should work really good inside the creams housing. (l&f)
It’s named candycreams.
Perfect for people that made cherry pie.

3 Likes

Possibly, but I’m thinking lubing stock Creams would probably be better - though if you already have empty Cream housings it would make them useable. The tolerances seem a bit loose compared to stock, though.

Quite possible. I’ll be able to test this with proper linear Creams at some point, but not exactly soon - my pile of empty Cream housings is in storage, and the Nolives won’t ship for a little bit. I’ll try to remember this when I unpack the keeb room at the new house. :stuck_out_tongue:

@skepp I’d definitely like to try that. I’ve almost snagged those switches a few times; I’ll bump them up on my list. :wink:

As I understand it u get two different kinds of stems when you buy them.

What did I just create?

Bling Kangaroo (or just A Gateron Kangaroo stem in a Tecsee Diamond)

The only reason why I wanted to post this because of how weird it feels:

• Starts linear
  • Begins to stiffen up kinda like a tactile
  • Bottoms out with no bump (dafaq?)
  • Top out has a tactile bump really close to top…

It honestly feels like nothing I’ve ever tried and can’t really describe it better than that. In analogy terms, you walk in a linear line, and someone named bump tries to break your ankles but fails. When you let your guard down, Bump actually pulls a Knee-Flopper 360 on you. Also, you’re in a school that’s named Blingy Kangaroo Elementry :wink:

Zeal, your 3 in 1 design has a competitor…

1 Like

Have you tried it in a keeb? Ink Kangaroo/Ink Yellow and Pink Box Ink have a tendency to activate after 0.1mm when put in a regular housing.

Actually, it feels like its actuating at the same level… Dunno if that’s the Tecsee Diamond or the stem

Lucky!
I had solderd both switches and LEDs before I found out that Yellow Ink stem don’t work in Black Ink housing. :sob:

1 Like

Stop! Stop! He's already dead! - stop stop hes already dead - quickmeme

They’ve stolen our design!

1 Like

I found a standard V1 Cream and tried the Cobalt stem in it. You were right about the Blueberry leaf adding scratch - this combo is definitely less so. It’s not ideal, though - there’s a weird tiny bump in the middle of the travel and plenty of metallic sound, I think from the Cream spring. There’s quite a bit of wobble - I’m gonna say probably not worth getting those stems to put into Creams, at least not V1s. I have some Nolives coming at some point which I think have the V2 Cream mold, so I’ll give those a try too.

Well that’s disappointing. Thanks again for doing the heavy lifting and reporting your results.

Does anyone here have both old and new mold creams? I need a referrence for finding out what mine are before i buy switches to put the stems in.

New Creams have a larger Kailh logo. Ignoring the color, here’s a comparison between the two molds:

V1 Cream:

Notice how the edge of the “K” is roughly in-line with that little rail / nub against the stem.

V2 Cream (chocolate colorway):

Larger logo, “K” no longer in-line with the rail / nub.

6 Likes

What would be the best combo to make Bobas U4 less tactile? I enjoy the smoothness but the bump is too much for my fingers. I currently have 45g on them and even lubed the legs, but it didn’t help.

Is it worth pursuing this or is it best to move to other switch entirely?

Did you try putting it in another switch housing? something like Brown type will be significantly less tactile, even linear one will be good with that huge stem bump.

1 Like