Cherry MX Orange Switch Review

Hey all,

Another pair of weeks has came and went and there’s another full length switch review to dive into. This week I take a look at Cherry’s latest homage to the custom keyboard community’s interests in the form of the Hirose Orange-inspired Cherry MX Orange switches. Hopefully these are at least a touch smoother than the vintage counterparts that they pay respects to…

Article 1: Cherry MX Orange Switch Review — ThereminGoat's Switches
Scorecard Repository: GitHub - ThereminGoat/switch-scores: PDF Repository of switch score sheets.
Force Curve Repository: GitHub - ThereminGoat/force-curves: PDF and Data Repository of switch force curves.
Patreon: ThereminGoat | creating Mechanical Keyboard Switch Reviews | Patreon

As always, thank you all for the continued readership week in and out. As you’ll see at the top of this review, I will be Chicago next weekend for ‘That Windy City Keeb Meet’ and I hope I’ll get a chance to meet some of you in person there!

Cheers,
Goat :goat:

7 Likes

Awesome review as always Goat, we greatly appreciate your efforts! I came to the same conclusion about the MX Oranges, a fine switch & right in line with what you’d expect from a linear MX2A Cherry switch. Although definitely a bit disappointing as I to was hoping they would step up the quality some with these, considering they are firmly aimed at us enthusiasts. The “It all comes back to MX blacks” meme aside I really wish Cherry would do more fine tuning on their switches. While I doubt they will ever get overtaken as the leader of MX switch manufacturing due to their deep entrenchment in the OEM market. They have to know they are getting their doors blown off by other manufactures who are pumping out switches that can used right out of the box with no tuning. Guess we’ll have to wait & see what Cherry decides to do about that, or if they do anything at all about it…

3 Likes

Thanks for this detailed review. One of your best for sure.

Given all that you have written about Gateron G Pro 3.0 Yellows, have you considered reviewing Gateron G Pro Brown? I am wondering if you believe that they are as much of an out-of-box success as the Yellows.

1 Like