Post Your Keyboards!

Rattle might be the wireless dongle in the battery compartment

Funny thing about that: I couldn’t get the dongle out of mine. It’s stuck in there pretty good…I’ll probably have to use something to get it un-stuck.

I built my Frog last night.

Plate: Full polycarbonate
Switches: Oil Kings (62g long), 205g0/105
Stabilizers: TX 1.6T black, 205g0
Keycaps: 21kb classic

This was my first time using Oil Kings. The Oil Kings the truth! These are wonderful to type on, and might be my new favorite switch. This was also my first time using TX stabilizers. And yes, they are very nice. The super tight tolerances are great for rattle elimination. My only gripe is that they are painful as fuck to snap the wires back in. There is tight and then there is TX. My fingers will be sore for a while.

Overall I’m very happy with the build! The sound is wonderful, and the feel is fantastic. I do think there are probably a couple mods I may try to even out the sound throughout the case. I wouldn’t say it sounds hollow but it does kind of vibrate, like a bell. For example if I press the Backspace key with my right hand I can just feel the vibration in the case on my left hand. Anyway, I think the force break mod might help.

13 Likes

I used a switch puller

I used a pair of tweezers – and I still hear the rattle, so that wasn’t it.

hmm… the batteries kinda rattle in mine, but it doesn’t rattle with them out. Have you taken it apart to see if there’s something loose inside? :slight_smile:

It comes apart quickly, but make sure you’re careful with the wires from the battery terminals to the PCB. They’re kinda short and seem like they could break off easily at the battery end.

1 Like

I haven’t tried to take it apart yet. I’ve got switches that I am doing spring swaps on my work area right now, so it’s going to have to wait a bit before I have space available.

I don’t think it’s anything loose inside the case, it would likely make more noise if it were that. My guess is still that it’s one of the stabs, it just isn’t apparent from the cursory look I gave them. It doesn’t seem to affect the typing experience at all.

So, all-in-all I think it’s kind of a low priority at this point. Honestly, this keeb is going to probably just be a display piece for me. I don’t relish typing on a %65 keyboard. I tried doing it the other night, and the number of times I cursed having to hit Fn+Backspace would have made anyone think that I had turrets…

1 Like

Don’t forget that you can remap any key with the downloadable software. You could put Delete where the home key is. I’ll admit though, if you don’t have other keycaps to swap, that’s probably not ideal having to remember that home is delete.

The last column is Home, PgUp, PgDn, and End.

I almost always use Del, PgUp, PgDn, Function on my 65% boards.

Then you can access Delete easily and if you want home or end you hold Fn+PgUp for Home and Fn+PgDn for end. Less of a stretch and the combo key is right next to the key you press so you only have to look in one spot.

I understand that some people still can’t stand 65% for this reason. I get it.

2 Likes

I did forget about it. I’ll have to check it out. One of the tricks to all of this is that I am on Linux, so unless there is an Android version (which it doesn’t appear there is), I won’t be able to use it.

That’s the thing. I’ve ended up landing on these 71-key (70%) layout keyboards because all of the nav keys are important for editing documents. Even with the extra column, I only slide my right hand over 1 position to reach all of the keys on the right-hand side. But, I get that I have a reach that is bigger than a lot of people (comes from playing piano since I was 8-9 years old…where I figured out how to stretch my fingers to span well over an octave).

Can’t stop changing things up, anyone else keep moving keycaps / switches from keyboard to keyboard all the time?

12 Likes

For sure. I spend days switching things up. Hammerhead looks nice on that board!

2 Likes

I keep changing it but I always come back to hammerhead, it matches so well. That teal just pops.

I put my Zealios in the Mojo68 and it’s loud as fuck in a good way

Alwayssss. You are not alone. I recycle my 4 favorite sets all the time hahaha

1 Like

Finally assembled this sharp little number for my wife:

GMK Noire is stylish I should have ordered another set for me :sweat_smile:

Cannonkeys Obliterated75 in Lilac; Zilents; GMK Noire

19 Likes

I wish i had one of the se brutalist boards.

Perfect. Dude, that’s just great. Full stop.

1 Like

I almost bought a second set of Noire novelties the other day as it didn’t come with enough 1.5u bottom row keys for my Hidari build, and I love the set so much, but it just looks a bit off.

But reason won out and I didn’t buy an entire set of novelties for a single key.

Genuine question: Is everyone on the internet shopping photos or is this set actually very white-ish-on-black? From the marketing material I always thought it would be more of an ivory color.

It pretty much looks white until you put it next to actual white.

I guess “off white” or “cream” is more accurate than “ivory” for the actual caps. I think it looks great but I also wouldn’t mind a little more warmth in the legends.

Comparison with MT3 BoW cap:

9 Likes

Thank you very much for that insightful comparison!

4 Likes