Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

Hmm. It turns out I didn’t post the photos here. And I didn’t even post it on Instagram. Well, when I did a big unboxing stream, I showed everything there.)))

In short, there is almost no difference.
They are still cheap injection molded plastic. Cheap casting with minor flaws.
The stock ones also make knocking noises and the wire dangles. There is also a curved wire that needs to be made straight. Out of the box they require a lot of effort and time to set up to be happy with.

The first version I have is KBD d45. 2u shift and enter. I was able to make them good. But only if you don’t compare with others.

3 Likes

Heads up. Just keeping y’all informed so you learn from my mistake.

I finally got LoobedSwitches to issue me a refund almost 60 days after my initial support ticket, however that was 7 business days ago and I still don’t have it in my account. Honestly, at this point I don’t even trust that the dude actually issued it, so I have escalated to a chargeback. I am tired of dealing with this fool.

I know I have heard other people have ok experiences with this vendor, but I would be cautious.

Also, initially I was checking out the IC for GMK Nerve just because it looked like a modern Hyperfuse, but as other more observant people than I noticed, “This set is a collaboration between LoobedSwitches, Baionlenja and me.”

LoobedSwitches and Baionlenja have been having a ton of issues lately, so to any one here that is interested, proceed with extreme caution. In my personal opinion, if you are interested, don’t go through the US vendor, which happens to be Loobed.

7 Likes

I do like that GMK Nerve though.

Some interesting news and things to watch for in Matt3o’s discord this morning:

MTNU space cadet in stock soon. Sign me up.

9 Likes

I’ve wanted to try mtnu so hearing Space Cadet and in stock means that time has come.

Still always hope for a Skull Squadron mention when Matt3o gives an update…

1 Like

NovelKeys has GMK samples, including ones for MTNU, as well as a GMK hat

2 Likes

Don’t see that this was mentioned already but a few weeks ago Drop did a little write-up on future DCX Novelty tooling. Well, it’s dated 2/12 but I just got an email about it now:

3 Likes

Yes! I had pretty high hopes for them but they aren’t my favorite silicone dampened stabs.

Two issues I found:

1. They clip in from the bottom, and thus will fall out. A lot.

2. They don’t fit very tightly into the PCB even when screwed in. They slide left or right a little, which was enough to get the stab stuck sometimes.

They also weren’t any more quiet than lubed and heat shrunk Gateron stabs. Maybe I’m not installing them right, though?

SwagKeys Knight stabilizers are my current preference for silicone dampened stabs. They have everything the WS 3.1’s do, but don’t slide around on the board and clip in from the top.

(Still aren’t as quiet as I want, but they are the closest I’ve found so far. The top and feet of the stab stems need some kind of damping mechanism.)

4 Likes
8 Likes

My guys were jamming!

Now we need someone to form a four person band featuring different switch types, MX, ALPS, Topre, and Buckling Spring :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve been testing the LYNXware CAT, a modular input device built around mouse switches. Or a sculpted split with a mouse in one half. Here are my thoughts:

6 Likes

Wel, well, well.

For people interested purchasing a GEON F1-8X v2, you will be pleased to hear that GEON is launching an unlimited GB very soon, and with vendor partners all over the world.
I plan to empty my wallet, will you ? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Yes sir!

2 Likes

You have your color in mind ?

I think I will take top silver with bottom grey, goes well with a lot of keycaps :stuck_out_tongue:
But I have to admit, the green + brown bottom intrigues me :wink:

2 Likes

I’m thinking of a two tone build too! They all look really good, but the black/red probably interests me the most. I didn’t see the green/brown yet though that does sound like an interesting color combo!

1 Like

It is probably old news, but I just noticed that ProtoTypist released a new round of the J-02 keyboard.

There is a blackout option and also a cerakote option.

Nothing revolutionary here - just that warm feeling of seeing an old friend. Like I remember the prototype of this from like 2019.

4 Likes

I ordered a blackout the first second the page went live. :rofl:

It still hasn’t shipped, tho :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

Interesting find this morning

Maybe a nice linear, but not much detail. I can see from the URL that something is POM but not sure what :joy:

2 Likes

What the heck. Now there is also a Gateron x Skyloong version as well. Looks like it could be a smoothie top. These look really nice if you like shorter travel switches. Listed as 3.4mm.

2 Likes