Interesting Finds & Heads-Ups

This is not a new product, but I saw the Keyreative blank keyset at a meetup recently and I was surprised by how good they are. The board at the meetup had the black keyset, and the spacing between keycaps, straightness of stems, flatness of larger keys, and sound were all really good.

Not all the colors are in stock, but if anyone is looking for a good blank keyset, at $20 I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a better value. Even if the set I saw/typed-on was anomalously good, the price still makes this a compelling buy just to see for oneself.

5 Likes

Just FYI - the Keyreative black is less black than GMK’s. It’s a touch lighter and more green.

5 Likes

Good call out

1 Like

we came full circle, from plastic mass produced boards to slightly better plastic mass produced boards :smiley:

I guess it’s some sort of progress :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Topre deskmat in four subtle colors:

5 Likes

Bolt modded and refurbished Model-Ms from a vendor.

8 Likes

Ha, was coming here to post that - was just about to go for one, too - but oof!

That shipping adds another 50%, which at least for me, takes it from “totally decent deal” to “not quite worth it”.

Pretty darn cool that they’ve gone through the trouble of cleaning and bolt-modding them all, though - and it looks like they even come with a fresh USB cable. I’d choose that over a Unicomp just about any day.

Alas, my discretionary budget for this round went to purple and grey KBD67L cases. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m happy the Model M SSK I have is still in great condition and doesn’t need to be bolt modded :slight_smile: Although when I get there I definitely want to do it myself and try out the floss mod as well

3 Likes

Same (well my Model M, no SSK here sadly LOL!), the floss mod is something I think mine could benefit from now. It’s a pretty pingy boy & that keeps me from using it too much anymore. If I could tame that I’d probably break it out a lot more!

Has anyone tried these Keyfirst switches?

Kono brags about the tight mold tolerances and factory lubing.

Could be interesting.

3 Likes

I just put them in my Prophet and they’re quite enjoyable so far. Incredibly smooth with a more interesting sound than you’d tend to anticipate from a PC housing. The spring is a two-stage so the 62g activation force is definitely a heavy 62. I sort of wish I’d gotten the pinks for something a bit lighter but I still quite enjoy them despite that.

Our friend the Goat did a scorecard on them as well.

2 Likes

Seems like Bolsa Supply is finally restocking their switches!

Also, if anybody is in the Bolsa Supply discord, could they remind me the time they drop? Edit: I mean when they get the ping, sorry for the wording.

Screenshot 2022-05-11 4.04.40 PM

1 Like

I don’t see anything on their Discord. From how I read the email it sounds like they’ll ping there once they’ve received the shipment.

1 Like

Oh, should have clarified my wording. I don’t use Discord and the switches seem to sell out quick, so I was wondering if someone in there discord, if the ping comes, if they could inform me. Post edited.

Be vewwy vewwy quiet… I’m hunting Zakus.

[ :space_invader: discord noises ] - Myeeeh… what’s up @Backspace?

4 Likes

Same here! That’s actually the reason why I’m so keen on when they drop… :smirk:

Welp, whenever those dates pop up, and have a few minute to spare, I’m all ears.

Looks like RAMA is getting into the dampened switch game:

https://rama.works/duck-switch

Wonder who they have doing the manufacturing. I’m interested to see how these turn out!

Have there been any dampened switches before, or is this a first ever?

To me, doesn’t sound like it’d be practically different from Deskeys film. Their silicone or whatever sounds like it performs the same job deskeys film does - provide more dampening than something stiff like a TX Film.

Also, i like how they advertise polycarb top housing for better LED distribution, but then the bottom is Nylon without an SMD LED Cutout. No light is going to get through past the bottom housing, so their transparent top housing is useless in terms of letting light through and their blurb misleading.

The polycarbonate top housing allows for seamless light distribution throughout the top of the switch. Perfect for keyboards with RGB backlighting and shine through legends.

1 Like

My guess is that instead of putting these on the pcb they are integrated into the switch. :thinking:

1 Like

This is a normal switch with dampening material built into the bottom to act as a switch film.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/563c788ae4b099120ae219e2/8659ad85-3b29-406c-8430-47bcefbc6009/RAMA-Switches_8.jpg?format=1500w

6 Likes